News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multi-effect box switching question

Started by diablochris6, April 16, 2014, 04:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I am building a multi-effect pedal for my dad. He wants a chorus and octave down circuit, but he wants them in parallel so that the octave doesn't get too muddy with the chorus. I designed a buffered parallel/mixer circuit to handle the parallel side of things, but then I decided that it might be nice to also be able to play through only one circuit without a parallel clean signal that would come through the other "off" circuit. I sketched out an idea; I hope it makes sense.

-If the 3PDT shown is engaged, the input signal will go through the parallel/mixer circuit(Both the octave and chorus will have their own 3PDT switches to stomp to be "on"), back to the 3PDT, and to the output jack.
-If the 3PDT is bypassing the parallel circuit, the signal will instead go to a toggle switch that indicates what individual circuit will be used. The signal will go to the input of the effect, and the output will go to the output jack via the 3PDT. If the individual effect is bypassed through its own 3PDT, the signal will still be true bypass.

So the question is, does this sound feasible? If so, would a SPDT work best?

Thanks for the help.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jkokura

A proper parallel mix circuit should give you %100 of one signal at one end of the pot, and %100 of the other signal at the other end, and %100 of each circuit in the middle. That would be able to do what you want without the toggle switch you've indicated.

I'm working on a project that should be able to do what you're looking for. You could watch for it in the coming weeks.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

muddyfox

It's very early morning here so forgive me for asking, J.... how is this different from JMK Panner?

diablochris6

You have me intrigued! The circuit that I put together utilizes the mini-mixer circuit found on the General Guitar Gadgets page, except I only have two channels instead of four. The plan was to have the volume pots on the mixer circuit be trimpots so I can set a maximum volume for each effect in a "set it and forget it" capacity; I would only have to worry about fiddling with the volume knobs of the effect circuits instead of those AND the mixer knobs. Alas! I already ordered my pcbs. That's what I get for making things up as I go!

diablochris6

Combining the mini mixer circuit I have built up with the concept of a blend knob, should I be able to hook up the 2 volume controls of the mixer to a double gang pot to make a blend knob?

If I did it that way, I would only have to use one footswitch to turn them all on at once. That would save on wiring time and make for a cleaner build.