News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar doo-dads, snake oil and otherwise

Started by Leevibe, April 08, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

The main «hyped» stuff that i use is ErnieBall Cobalt strings, they cost more than any other normal strings... ...less than Elixir tho but damn they sound good!

Otherwise i'm a bit of a cable junkie, i wish i had all of the Coily cables in all the colors just because it looks nice when they're on a hook for storage. hahaha

I don't think that a Decimator enters that category, noise gate have been around for ages and are simply a utility/audio solution device and i could'nt live without one.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

junkemail86

A cool little toy is the Sonuus G2M (or I2M) which does a good job of converting monophonic instrument signal (mainly guitar and bass but works with others) to midi. I use it to add piano or orchestral instruments to recordings.

I like Dunlop 65 for routine cleaning of guitars, but Meguiar's products for the occasional polish/wax or minor scratch repair.

Dunlop tortex M3 green picks are the best for fast accurate picking in my opinion, with the Jazz III red a close second (but the extra weight does noticeably slow me down when directly comparing).

+1 for Shubb capos and Ebow (though I rarely use either).

Not a secret, but Godlyke Powerall and 1spot are amazing for powering pedals.  I currently daisy chain 20 pedals off my Powerall without a problem.  Of course, there are higher end power supplies with isolated outputs that may reduce hum, but with added cost and board real estate.

Also a plug for G&L tribute guitars are an outstanding value with fantastic build quality. I own 3, love them all.

Morgan

The ESP Multi Spanner Wrench! You can take apart an entire pedal with one of these (as long as the knob set screws aren't tightened too much)! Plus you can tighten just about anything that might come loose during a gig. Never leaves my gig bag. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/ESP_Multi_Spanner.html

Pedal board lights are useful too. No more staring down at your board on a dark stage and seeing nothing but blackness and a few random LEDs, then missing your cue while you contemplate about where that fuzz pedal might approximately be... http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-52010-Pedalboard-Light/dp/B001BZ3L4K

Quote from: jkokura on April 08, 2014, 06:55:24 PM
Quote from: alanp on April 08, 2014, 06:49:34 PM
Dad: (knows absolutely no music theory) "Capo two."

I've known a few musicians who are like that. I've taken Theory classes, so I'm super knowledgeable about most things in most music, so I tend to be able to transpose in my head and stuff like that. But when you play with someone who doesn't, it's hilarious to watch people who don't understand 'capo two' try to deal with that.

Jacob

Lolz! Happens to us all the time.

Bass player: "What key is this one in?"

Singer (says confidently): "G"

Bass player: "Really!? That doesn't sound right."

Singer: "Oh yeah...capo 2 in G..."

Morgan: "Dude! The song is in A. We've been playing this song for 2 years! HTF do you not know this song is in A?!"

Bass player: "Oh yeah, thanks...A." (pretends to note it down somewhere) ;D
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

Leevibe

I see a shopping cart in my future containing gorgomyte cloth and an esp multispanner.

jimilee

That's awesome. How about this one. " I don't give a crap about the Internet and their tabs, thats not how the song goes dude"
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.