News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Started by televisiondown, April 12, 2014, 01:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

televisiondown

This is a Crowther Hotcake built on veroboard. The box is a Cream 1590B from Mammoth. I used Stazon ink for the stamps. The layout is from Tagboard Effects and it sounds great! Between the TL071 and the LM741, the TL071 was a tiny bit quieter, but I went with the LM741. It just sounded better. A little more jangly and dynamic. I LOVE this pedal. I really wish I had found this pedal about 20 years ago. It's an easy build and extreme worth it! If you haven't already, go and check out tagboardeffects.blogspot.com It's amazing what Mark, Mirosol, and now John, are doing! The 1976 is from two things. It's the year Crowther designed the original Hotcake and also the year I was born.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

Leevibe

Simple and cool Kris. I dig it.

selfdestroyer

Kris, I LOVE the number stamps you used. Great job. On a side note, what amp you using this pedal with? I have had no luck getting a Hot Cake to sound good on my Fender Twin.

Cody

jubal81

Clean, cool & classy.
Great circuit, too. I'm love-hate with the cake. Love the sound, hate the noise.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

the3secondrule

Quote from: jubal81 on April 12, 2014, 04:39:14 AM
Clean, cool & classy.
Great circuit, too. I'm love-hate with the cake. Love the sound, hate the noise.

I recommend the 76' hotcake (the one with the midswitch, rather than the presence control).
It's got a bit more filtering, and runs a little quieter. Also sounds better going into a clean amp. The 3 knob version really needs an amp that is already dirtied up a bit
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

BuGG

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ink did you use with those stamps?

I've got a pad of Stazon but it never comes out that thick/dark.

televisiondown

Thanks, guys! I have 2 amp setups. A Peavey Classic 50 combo and a Peavey Classic 50 head into a Marshall 4x12. The pedal sounds great through both amps with a Strat, a Tele and a Gibson Midtown. The noise is very minimal and the TL071 was almost silent. I'm not using it for the full gain setting, though. It's very dynamic with the gain at about 2:00 (depending on the guitar). The presence knob seems useful for changing guitars, too. It gets very trebly at full.

I think the stamps are my favorite application. It's never perfect, but it's quick and I think it looks great most of the time. I used Stazon black ink for this, BuGG. I usually practice on paper first. If you press the stamps into the inkpad a good amount of times, the ink builds up a little. Then, when you press the stamps in the enclosure, you don't have to press hard, but make sure you wiggle it around a little. Keep a cloth with some denatured alcohol around. A clean pencil eraser is useful, too.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

nzCdog

Oh yeah!  Very cool, love the stamp look :)