News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Royal Trouser Press

Started by juansolo, April 07, 2014, 10:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

This is entirely Matt's fault. His Sonic Death Monkey was back with us for repair (dodgy trimmer of all things) and I realised that something was missing from my Klonpressor. So Cleggy's grabbed that and I've built myself a new one.

The recipe is a little different this time and I think I've nailed it. On the front is the old favourite Rotten Komp from Grind Customs. The OD this time is my Madbean Kingslayer re-boxed and simplified a bit (I've moved the clipping switches onto jumpers as I found them a bit set and forget). I've gone with the Kingslayer because quite frankly I think it kicks the arse out of a Klon. Finally it's got Madbean's FatPants. A booster based around the input stage of an Echoplex.

The decal is familiar because it's replacing my Klonpressor and I really like it.

I get asked occasionally what the trick is to the internals and I usually respond that it's OCD, well it is that, but I had more of a think about it while making this one.

I think a lot of it is down to Josh's Optotrons. All the wiring hinges from them and the layout is based around getting them in at the bottom as tightly as possible. Therefore leaving as much room as possible for the effects. The dual power pads on the Optotrons mean that they're all chained together and once all that's in and tested, you just have four wires per effect as you drop them in. I get all that done before any effects go in there.

The effects I always try to board mount the pots using solid core, sometimes they're spaced up a bit for clearance using some thick (probably not far off 1cm thick) sticky backed foam and double sided sticky backed pads.

As before though, it all comes down to planning. Lots of time in Photoshop moving things around, printing it out and laying boards on it to make sure it'll work.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Badassery! 8)

SMT Dipped JFET on the FatPants?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 07, 2014, 11:40:52 AM
Badassery! 8)

SMT Dipped JFET on the FatPants?

It is indeed. If anyone asks, it's PURE MOJO! ;)

peAk

wgc

Crisp trousers every time!  Awesome
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Leevibe

Droogie

Lovely build as always. The Rotten and Kingslayer are two of my faves also. Notice that you jumpered the Bloom control. Do you feel it's superfluous with the Kingslayer in the same box?
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

jubal81

Always one of my favorites of yours and you just made it favoriter.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Quote from: Droogie on April 07, 2014, 03:30:54 PM
Lovely build as always. The Rotten and Kingslayer are two of my faves also. Notice that you jumpered the Bloom control. Do you feel it's superfluous with the Kingslayer in the same box?

Just never used it so I never put it on these.

Also on multis I try and keep superfluous controls down to an absolute minimum. Hence taking the clipper switches off the Kingslayer.