News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Delay suggestions

Started by junkemail86, April 02, 2014, 11:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Attention delay gurus, I'm looking for suggestions!
I'm a delay amateur at best.  I'm currently using a Sea Urchin, which I like a lot.  I also have a BOSS DD-3 that I never use.  I'm looking for a more complex build, mainly looking at the Madbean offerings and the 1776 Multiplex.  I would ideally like to keep it at a reasonably priced build (not $80 IC's...).  Would a non-PT2399 be a better complement to the Sea Urchin?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

GermanCdn

As a delay amateur, I'd suggest your next build not be an analog build; they are somewhat of a pain to fire up, and the ICs are expensive and hit and miss.

A multiplex junior is a good next one to build; it will fit in a 125B nicely, has modulation, and sounds killer.  If you go to Josh's (1776 effects) section, you can see a shootout I did between an MP Jr and the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails Analog delay; there's a difference for sure, but it's not a $100 difference.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

lincolnic

I'd actually recommend you go with the full Multiplex instead of the Junior - you'll get more features than the Sea Urchin or Multiplex Jr. I'm of the belief that if you're going to build a couple of delays, they might as well do different stuff.

You could also do one of the Zero Points, which sound great but can get pretty complex.

jimilee

Rej has a great one, cave dweller sounds fantastic. All of the zero points are wonderful, and the multiplex is good too. I have built bunches
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

You could build a aquaboy DX using 2 mn3008's. They are $25 including shipping if you buy them here:

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&sort=20a

You will get 300ms of delay time like a stock Boss DM-2/Aquapuss and it is definitely different that a PT2399 build.

Another PT2399 build to consider is Jon Patton's Hamlet Delay. I just built one and it sounds amazing! JMK just released a tap tempo version and I've heard great things about it as well and it definitely be challenging:

http://jmkpcbs.com/product/hamlet/

As mentioned above, the multiplex and Zero Point are both great delays and would fit the "complex" criteria as well! You can't go wrong with any of these projects IMO. That being said, the Aquaboy is the most difficult. If you decide to go that way make sure you read and follow the build doc like its Gospel!

flanagan0718

I would say one of the Zero Point delays or the Echo Base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pryde

Another vote for the Multiplex Jr.
I have built so many and this one to is on top for its sound, features, and ease of building.