News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small stone vs Bad stone. what do you think?

Started by pietro_moog, March 27, 2014, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

i'm interested in a EHX stone phaser. Small vs Bad. small is 4 stages, bad is 6. what are you thoughts on this guys?

raulduke

Haberdasher has just released the Laser Harp.

That'll cover your small stone requirements.

Madbean had the Bad Stone clone in development, but I'm not sure when that is due.

In short... build both (starting with the Laser Harp)  :D!

Scruffie

Space Harp  ;)

Apples and oranges really, 2 very different phasers, not just in stage numbers but audio path, LFOs, variable element. I would just build both and see what you like more, the Bad Stone seems to split those who like it and those who don't.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

Of the "stone" phaser varieties, there is actually a third version that gets often overlooked. Around 1981 EHX completely changed the small stone circuit and used two LM13600s and one LM324, instead of the typical CA3094AE's. IMO this is the best-sounding "stone" phaser they have ever produced. It doesn't have a volume drop when engaged, and has a stronger/ more defined phase output. Although the graphics were exactly like the late 70's black and red, you can tell it's the alternate version when the battery cover is off. The 14 pins of the first LM13600 chip are clearly visible.

Scruffie

16 Pin and a project may be hitting you soon!

Rumor does have it that the nano small stone uses this circuit though and reviews against vintage units are not all positive.

The same 'small stone' circuit was actually produced by several companies back in the day.

It went back to the classic 5 x EH1048 design after... why... can only be speculated.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

Oops, I meant you can see the 14 pins of the LM324 when the battery door is off.
A good article on pretty much every "stone" version phaser ever made is found on a site called 'Pedal area'. In the article he also agrees that the LM13600 version sounds stronger/more balanced in comparison to older models. I guess the "vintage correct" 5 x EH1048 (CA3094) version was brought back to "reissue" the volume drop that people complain about (interestingly people don't complain about volume drop on the Nano versions, which would make sense if it too is based off the LM13600 design). It would be cool to know what other companies used to make that exact LM13600 circuit. They could probably be picked up for cheap, and you would get a great-sounding "small stone".

jimilee

I have a nano small stone I got from rej, so if you need to see pics, I'm down with that. First off, if it's a phaser, it's worth building, so down limit yourself. Bean has th stage fright that's a 5/6 stage phaser. tonepad has the ross phaser that's expandable, I have  4 stage and an 8 stage. I have the spaceharp that I am going to build shortly as well as the ehx 45 and 90 clones from tonepad.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

I used to have a vintage Bad Stone and thought it sounded good except the volume drop. I'll be curious to see Brian's version when it's ready. But for now I need to get moving and wrap up my Nutron Phasor II that's in progress... :P

peAk

Let's not forget about the Super Phaser!

I have quite a few phasers waiting to be started....Space Harp, a BYOB Phase Royal, the Super Phaser, a tonepad Small Stone, and a Stage Fright!

Going to do the byoc first, then start the Space Harp.

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on March 31, 2014, 10:40:33 PM
Let's not forget about the Super Phaser!

I have quite a few phasers waiting to be started....Space Harp, a BYOB Phase Royal, the Super Phaser, a tonepad Small Stone, and a Stage Fright!

Going to do the byoc first, then start the Space Harp.
You should build them at the same time. Really speeds things up
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.