News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Problems with Tayda LED bezel

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, October 02, 2014, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

So... I am using this bezel:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/led-holders-bezels/5mm-bezel-led-panel-mounting-clip.html

My problem is that I have drilled all of my holes so that this bezel will "snap" into the hole and not wiggle around. All is good so far. The problem comes when I try to install the 5MM LED into it. The LED will not insert all the way and looks recessed when I push it into the bezel as far as it goes. I discovered that, for some reason, the hole that I drilled is too tight to allow the bezel to expand and let the LED go all the way in.

So... do I enlarge the whole and allow the LED to be fully inserted into the bezel BUT... the bezel will be loose -OR- do I leave it as-is and just accept the recessed LED?

Thoughts??

flanagan0718

I've used these a couple of times. Try putting the LED in the bezel and the the bezel with LED in the enclosure. I seem to remember this working for me.

pickdropper

I would pitch them all in a bin and get better LED mounts.  I've tried using them and haven't been impressed at all.  If I didn't have a better LED mount, I'd probably live with the recess and replace it later.

Now, if you really like those mounts, enlarging the hole may be an option, but it still may not function as well as you'd like.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: flanagan0718 on October 02, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
I've used these a couple of times. Try putting the LED in the bezel and the the bezel with LED in the enclosure. I seem to remember this working for me.

Cheers Mike.. I'll give 'er a go!

mgwhit

I feel like those Tayda bezels weren't designed for a panel the same thickness as the Hammond-style enclosures we all typically use, and that that might be what prevents the inner structure from having enough give to insert the LED post-mounting.

I use black plastic bezels from Radio Shack.  They look cheap up close, but they fit a standard gauge hole (can't remember which, but it's on my unibit), accept the LED post-mounting and kinda lock in place loosely once you've done that.

One idea for using the Tayda bezels: maybe try using a tapered reamer or countersink bit from the inside of the enclosure to give the hole just a little extra space that won't be obvious from the outside.

LaceSensor

ive used these fine. you need to put the LED in it first, the push the whole thing through the enclosure.
it is possible to have the LED sit correctly, and not have the bexel loose in the case.

ian

wgc

I have had some luck in my early boxes with these, but I like the 3mm in a hole to match much better. Less parts and easier to wire. 

That said, some people like a bezel. If I was going to do bezels, I'd probably try the blms pre wired thingies.

Agree that panel thickness makes it harder to fit properly.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Haberdasher

i've used them before but it seems like the correct size for the bezel with the led in it is in between steps on my bit.  maybe the correct size for it is in metric.
i overdrilled a couple and had to go with a metal bezel instead, which was a drag.  it's been a while, but i think what i had to do was drill up to the next smaller step, and then apply very light pressure with the bit turning very slowly until it reamed out to the correct size.  trial & error.  quite a pain in the arse.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

mgwhit

Quote from: Haberdasher on October 03, 2014, 12:33:11 AM
i've used them before but it seems like the correct size for the bezel with the led in it is in between steps on my bit.

I just tried with my unibit and 5/16" was too big and 9/32" was too small.

it's been a while, but i think what i had to do was drill up to the next smaller step, and then apply very light pressure with the bit turning very slowly until it reamed out to the correct size.  trial & error.

I took a tapered reamer to a 9/32" hole and it only took a few seconds to get a snug fit.

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 02, 2014, 10:15:32 PM
ive used these fine. you need to put the LED in it first, the push the whole thing through the enclosure.

And then I did what Lace said.  The LED will not hold in place until the bezel is snapped in, so you kinda have to hold the LED on one side while you push the bezel on the other.  Not impossible, but tricky.  If the LED is not sticking out above the top of the bezel it is not seated correctly.  Once it was in it was the best fitting bezel I've ever used, and I think it looks pretty good, too.

alanp

Did a build for someone else (amp footswitch), with parts he supplied. The bezels were those ones.

I found the only LEDs that fitted nicely in the 5mm LED holder were 3mm LEDs.

He seemed happy with the end product.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

Quote from: mgwhit on October 03, 2014, 03:08:26 AM
i've used them before but it seems like the correct size for the bezel with the led in it is in between steps on my bit.

I just tried with my unibit and 5/16" was too big and 9/32" was too small.

it's been a while, but i think what i had to do was drill up to the next smaller step, and then apply very light pressure with the bit turning very slowly until it reamed out to the correct size.  trial & error.

I took a tapered reamer to a 9/32" hole and it only took a few seconds to get a snug fit.

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 02, 2014, 10:15:32 PM

And then I did what Lace said.  The LED will not hold in place until the bezel is snapped in, so you kinda have to hold the LED on one side while you push the bezel on the other.  Not impossible, but tricky.  If the LED is not sticking out above the top of the bezel it is not seated correctly.  Once it was in it was the best fitting bezel I've ever used, and I think it looks pretty good, too.
nice, i'll try that next time, as i think i have a few left.
i do agree they look good; they've just been a hassle to use in the past.

edit:  sounds like it could possibly be 10mm
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS