News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mayfair's Mossy Sloth

Started by Jakes Dad, March 23, 2014, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes Dad

This is yet another product of surfing the Group Buy board. Jon's Mossy Sloth Fuzzy Overdrive.  If you didn't grab one of these during the initial group buy I believe Jon still has a few left - these are really nice.  I fought myself every step of the way with this one - mostly drilling boxes.  Finally gave up and went with wired pots instead of the board mounted.  Other than that this is a straight forward build.  Box and knobs are from Mammoth.  This was the second box I attempted the recessed LED bezel look - forgot that I had shifted the drill press table up slightly and damned near drilled right through the top of the box before I caught myself.

The completion date inside the box is a little off - I was real close last night but just ran out of steam.

Chuck

rullywowr

Way to make it happen, Chuck!  Nicely done.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Gledison

Nice build! Loved the orange colour!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

thesameage

jimilee

I love it! Did you use a step less bit for the bezel? Also, Jon is midwayfair not Mayfair. That sound a bit dainty. :-D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Love the countersunk LED and the color of this thing. Clean inside and out. Great job.

Cody

midwayfair

Nice to see another build of this one. :)

I'm also curious how you did the LED. It looks really cool and would be a nice change of pace from a bezel once in a while.

hoodoo

Nice one mate, and at a guess, i'd say countersink drill bit maybe  :)

Jakes Dad

Jimi, Jon,

I used a 4 mm bit to drill the hole for the 5mm LED - so the tip catches in the hole but stays below the surface - then used a countersink bit to flare the top of the hole.  On a pre-finished box it gives a neat shiny ring.  In this case I got a little happy with it but stopped short of countersinking all the way through.

Thesameage,

I can't say it sounds just like Jon's video demo because we play differently with different gear.  Just dinking with it today I've been very impressed with how versatile it is - I'm going to be playing with this for a long time to find all the sweet spots.  It is as clean or as nasty as you want to make it.

Chuck

chromesphere

That's a good idea Jakes dad.  The big benefit of having an led below the top surface of the pedal is that it's (almost) impossible to push it out the other side with your foot.  Nice looking build too mate!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

das234

How did you mount the LED to keep it in place?  Hot glue, super glue, epoxy?

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: das234 on March 24, 2014, 03:18:54 PM

Looks like it's incorporated into the switch PCB.
Jonathan

Jakes Dad

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 24, 2014, 03:20:32 PM
Quote from: das234 on March 24, 2014, 03:18:54 PM

Looks like it's incorporated into the switch PCB.

Yep - Guitar PCB's 3PDT board.  The LED is bi-color - red for plugged in and green for ready to make loud noises.  I solder the board to the switch, thread the LED legs through the board, mount the switch in the box, fiddle with the LED until it aligns in the hole then trim and solder the legs.

Chuck