News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snackshack

Started by sprayfe, March 27, 2011, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprayfe

Cranked this today during service. This was my first etch- I'm surprised it works- let alone sounds good! Mr. Madbean, your layouts are the bomb!!

Thanks!

Still cleaning up my wiring:(

lincolnic

Wiring looks good to me! Dig the finish and the big knob too.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks good! Nice job on the etch!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Very nice.  I like the knob too..

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Is that an orange drop cap? Does anyone use these in pedals, I'm interested to hear if they improve the sound or not, I know thy are popular in amps and guitar electronics

k.rock!

Quote from: lincolnic on March 28, 2011, 02:30:15 AM
Wiring looks good to me! Dig the finish and the big knob too.

What lincolnic said... ;D Specially the texture of that enclosure, looks very cool! Did you paint it yourself or did you order it from somewhere?

Quote from: nzCdog on March 28, 2011, 08:16:33 PM
Is that an orange drop cap? Does anyone use these in pedals, I'm interested to hear if they improve the sound or not, I know thy are popular in amps and guitar electronics

...And what nzCdog asked...haha I'm really curious about this as well as I see these all over the place and I don't know what are the benefits of using these as they can be pretty expensive compared to the regular boxes and such...

Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

sprayfe

This one was 100 in house! Hammetone copper- and the orange drops greatly improve.... Wait for it... The  Mojo value. Guitarist love opening pedals and seeing anything remotely resembling candy! I know because I'm "that guy!"

jkokura

From what I understand, Orange Drops are just big Film Caps. They have a high voltage rating, and they have relatively small tolerances, so they often are very useful for amps and other audio applications.

Some people argue that there is a sound quality difference between Orange Drops and other caps. In my way of thinking, I doubt that's very true, but is a marketing strategy to sell caps that are more expensive than other ones. I'd love to have someone put a e blackface champs together with Orange Drops, Mallorys, and no names in each and see if there's an audible difference between them. Chances are in a mix there's no way to tell.

But, when it comes to mojo - people pay more for products with Orange Drops in there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Thats what I want to know... whether is marketing mojo or quality capacitance.  I have subbed Box Film Caps for Mylar in pedal circuits and definitely heard a difference, despite them testing identical with a MM

bigmufffuzzwizz

The cap I'm in question about are the green mylar. I get this weird feeling they are the lowest quality caps. Even though i've built with them and the pedals did sound great, I notice myself steered away from them. It's just a color right?

nzCdog

Gee I dunno... I actually preferred the sound of a green mylar to a metalised polyester as the input cap in my Krankosaurus... lol.  There's lotsa people who reckon there's no audible difference, they may be right...  but like I said I could hear the difference clear as day... Its like when I was building a fuzz pedal, I got two of the IC chip on order, I saw they were different brands, same model... tried them out and definitely preferred one to the other.  ::)  Its hardly scientific, but I guess each pedal will sound minutely different with all the various tolerances weighed up anyway.  

night-B

I can hear it too!
By hearing only one pedal I cannot tell wich type of caps there's in, but on the same pedal I heard the difference between one with Wima mks and mkt film caps, and the other with panasonic ECQb.
I do prefer the panasonics.
Maybe I'm crazy  ::)
I heard the difference on one project, looks like I must try to swap the components on several builds to tell wich one I prefer.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've actually yet to use Wima box caps. There are some coming my way in the mail that I should have in the next few days. I should keep my mind open and try all the different ones. I agree the panasonic ECQ-b do sound very good. I've been using them for my vero builds and have not been dissapointed with one pedal yet! But still for some reason those box caps look so much more mojoriffic.

sprayfe

I don't wanna be crass,

but my wife is much more receptive when I play through the big mojo caps...
just sayin...

nzCdog

Mojo factor is huge... reason enough on its own to go orange drops ;)