News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TL074 lower power replacements?

Started by garfo, March 08, 2014, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

Hi, I was going to put this on the thread with the project I'm working on,but I've decided to open a new thread.

I'm building an onboard-Preamp project that uses TL074.
I want an alternative IC that will consume less power and be somehow low-noise.
Cost is not the problem.
At the moment I can only think of the TL064, it will drop the power consumption, but will also raise up the noise.
(I'll be using two boards with one single battery, that's why!?)  ;)

I'll be using it here:

Kothoma and RobA already gave me great suggestions about this project, but before I go further I just wanted to know if there is a good IC that will have the best of both worlds as a drop in replacement.

oldhousescott

LT1114 would likely work, although it's not cheap.

RobA

According to TI's product search on their website, the TLC2254, TLC2264, TLV2254, and TLV2264 should work. From the spec sheets, the TLC2264A would probably be best.

I haven't used the TLC2264 op-amps, but I have used the TLC2274's and it looks like the TLC2264 and the TLC2274 are a similar pair to the TL074 and TL064. The noise figures for the TLC2264 are actually below those specified for the TL074 but the supply current is comparable to the TL064. The TLC2274's are pretty nice, it would be worth giving the TLC2264's a try.

Also, there are more possibilities if you are willing to look at SMD parts .
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

garfo

Quote from: RobA on March 09, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
According to TI's product search on their website, the TLC2254, TLC2264, TLV2254, and TLV2264 should work. From the spec sheets, the TLC2264A would probably be best.

I haven't used the TLC2264 op-amps, but I have used the TLC2274's and it looks like the TLC2264 and the TLC2274 are a similar pair to the TL074 and TL064. The noise figures for the TLC2264 are actually below those specified for the TL074 but the supply current is comparable to the TL064. The TLC2274's are pretty nice, it would be worth giving the TLC2264's a try.

If I decide to go fancy bulding, I might go SMD.Will give it a try on the TLC2264CP.I can only find this version.

garfo

Isn't the tlc2264 rated 8 volts max

RobA

I could be wrong on this, but the way I read the spec sheet is that Note 1 states the voltages are measured from the midpoint between Vdd- and Vdd+. Since Vdd- is sitting at 0V, at 9V the voltages would be at -4.5V and 4.5V. So, that should be OK. But, if you were to use 2 batteries to power it, it would be too much.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

garfo

I can always try one and see if it doesn't burn.It idoes have a good power consumption, the same as a standard TL064(1mA)
Also, I found a specific TL064 that has 0.2 mA consumption, but I bet it will have too many noise issues.
Another thing I've found through specs is that TI has a TL074ID that consumes only 2.5mA which is way smaller than the standard 10mA.
About the TLC2264 I could get the AIPW version from Mouser but the Post-service costs 20 euros.
On Banzai GmBH, Germany, I can get the TLC2264CP version.I'll try that one.
Quote from: RobA on March 09, 2014, 05:23:23 PM
I could be wrong on this, but the way I read the spec sheet is that Note 1 states the voltages are measured from the midpoint between Vdd- and Vdd+. Since Vdd- is sitting at 0V, at 9V the voltages would be at -4.5V and 4.5V. So, that should be OK. But, if you were to use 2 batteries to power it, it would be too much.

garfo

RobA, hey, I've build both of the filters y now and I have ordered the TLC2264 IC to try it on the layout.
I have a doubt that you might know.In case I use this IC instead of the TL074, would I need to change anything on the circuit to better fit this IC?

RobA

I wouldn't think you'd need to change anything in the circuit. About the only thing that you might have to worry about in using different op-amps is the resistors on the input, but the tlc2264 is a FET input, so those should be fine. It's going to sound different (a bit) but that's the tradeoff you have to make in going with the lower power. I don't know how much different though, I've never tested this op-amp in a filter circuit. It could be a really minimal change in the sound.

garfo

I've built both filters and installed them on my bass.They sound killer.Will replace the opamps though.
One thig that happened was that when blending both circuits on the blend knob they were fighting each other.I solved it putting two 10k resistors in series on the otput of each circuit.