News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone built the Centaur vero layout from tagboardeffects?

Started by AntKnee, March 26, 2014, 08:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

Just wondering if anyone has built the Klon Centaur simplified layout at tagboardeffects located here:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/03/klon-centaur-bare-bones.html

Any comments on its sound or advice on building it? It will be my first attempt at a vero layout.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

muddyfox

I haven't built this particular one but have built a few that size. My tips are:

- doublecheck your cuts
- triplecheck component value and placement
- after everything is soldered, knife the gaps
- knife the gaps again

Other than that, nothing to it!  ;D

AntKnee

muddyfox

Yep. Solderbridges accounted for 90% of all my build problems on vero. For some reason, microscopic solder bridges happen to me all the time and I've only started getting consistent successful builds once I started "knifing the gaps", using a scalpel to go over all the gaps between the copper strips.

Other 10% were my own stupid 2AM mistakes (component placement, wrong value, ic socket legs left unsoldered, offboard wires coming off wrong strips, jumpers connecting wrong rows etcetc).

AntKnee

Thanks!
Speaking of jumpers, do they go on the solder side? If so, are you supposed to elevate them so they dont short out against the wrong strip?

muddyfox

No, they go on the component side. Watch out for the ones going underneath IC sockets, sometimes they make sockets difficult to solder.

Also, mind the dual jumper hole to the left of D3.

muddyfox

Here, for jumper illustration purposes, this is my vero Snowwhite Autowah:

AntKnee

Thank you, sir!
That is helpful.

Anyone that can comment on the sound if this pedal, please chime in.

GermanCdn

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but.....

Brian's got the Sunking II coming out in a week, which is as close to a Centaur as you are ever going to get.  I'd actually wait for that, as opposed to trying to build vero version, as it's a fairly high part count vero build, and you might want to get your feet wet with a simpler build to start vero'ing.  Vero is a huge PITA to trouble shoot, and it's best to hone your skills on the easier stuff (that's not readily available in fabbed board form).  There are piles of lower component builds on tagboard that sound great.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

LaceSensor

There's loads of comments on it over at tagboard... ::) ?!

AntKnee

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 26, 2014, 10:40:39 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but.....

Brian's got the Sunking II coming out in a week, which is as close to a Centaur as you are ever going to get.  I'd actually wait for that, as opposed to trying to build vero version, as it's a fairly high part count vero build, and you might want to get your feet wet with a simpler build to start vero'ing.  Vero is a huge PITA to trouble shoot, and it's best to hone your skills on the easier stuff (that's not readily available in fabbed board form).  There are piles of lower component builds on tagboard that sound great.

I hear ya. I've built many pcb builds already, and I feel confident I can handle it. I do want to build a sunking or two, but I want to build some projects that don't have someone else's logo on them. Know what I mean?

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 26, 2014, 11:28:02 PM
There's loads of comments on it over at tagboard... ::) ?!

Yeah, read those, most of it is questions about problems. I just want some madbean member feedback if anyone here has built one.