News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Purple plexi

Started by jimilee, March 12, 2014, 12:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Is there a purple plexi clone?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Tremster

teknoman2

I've made a small order a couple months ago and I have the .sch and .brd files if would like them,
or I have a couple spare pcbs if you like to buy.
The purple plexi has TONS of drive even if the drive pot is on zero, ....but you must try several lm386 ot njm386 to avoid the note decay.
I believe mine worked with njm386D or njm386BL.

ncdb07

Yes. PoodlePedalParts has one. http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/-PCBs_-_OverdriveDistortion/p847124_9557593.aspx Scroll down and look for Plexi or Plexi Distortion.

I have been wanting to build one also.
ncdb07
Daniel

jimilee

Quote from: teknoman2 on March 12, 2014, 12:37:49 PM
I've made a small order a couple months ago and I have the .sch and .brd files if would like them,
or I have a couple spare pcbs if you like to buy.
The purple plexi has TONS of drive even if the drive pot is on zero, ....but you must try several lm386 ot njm386 to avoid the note decay.
I believe mine worked with njm386D or njm386BL.
If I could get a board from you, that'd be great. I am going to surprise one of my employees with it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gjcamann

I would recommend you breadboard one first and see if you like it - they're simple enough. The note decay issue has always bothered me. I've attempted this several times and with several flavors - PP, Smashdrive, Krank Distortus Maximus. They sound great in the videos and if you play a certain way you can mask the note decay - but I like a pedal that has good dynamics and sounds good when played with a light touch. I don't think these types of pedals are for everyone, but they can sure sound good for some, maybe me and the 386 just don't get along.

Also teknoman2, have you considered sharing your oshpark projects? There's a thread for it here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10840.0

ddog

Do you know of a video of how the note decay sounds like? I've been browsing youtube for purple plexi clones and I haven't noticed anything weird

teknoman2

You can't hear the note decay on youtube, its bearly noticable even when you are playing on high volumes.

jimilee

Quote from: gjcamann on March 12, 2014, 02:33:08 PM
I would recommend you breadboard one first and see if you like it - they're simple enough. The note decay issue has always bothered me. I've attempted this several times and with several flavors - PP, Smashdrive, Krank Distortus Maximus. They sound great in the videos and if you play a certain way you can mask the note decay - but I like a pedal that has good dynamics and sounds good when played with a light touch. I don't think these types of pedals are for everyone, but they can sure sound good for some, maybe me and the 386 just don't get along.

Also teknoman2, have you considered sharing your oshpark projects? There's a thread for it here:
I'm am going to surprise one of my employees who said specifically he wants one. As a bassist, when I play 6 string, most dirt pedals sound the same.

teknoman2

Quote from: jimilee on March 12, 2014, 03:15:23 PM

Quote from: gjcamann on March 12, 2014, 02:33:08 PM

I'm am going to surprise one of my employees who said specifically he wants one. As a bassist, when I play 6 string, most dirt pedals sound the same.

Nice one mate. ;D ;D ;D

stevie1556

I've got one in SMD that I just need to finish verifying. I had a bad chip so was waiting on new ones to arrive.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

GrindCustoms

I built one of those with IvIark layout a long while ago, really digged the interaction of the tone control with the gain structure, clever and simple design.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 13, 2014, 03:01:00 AM
I built one of those with IvIark layout a long while ago, really digged the interaction of the tone control with the gain structure, clever and simple design.
Vero is plan b, I notice h had a layout.mi may end up doing that.