News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A True Story

Started by Droogie, April 18, 2014, 04:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

So I order from Small Bear yesterday and ask for local pickup (since I live a few miles from their mail drop). Per usual, I get an email around 5:00 saying the package can be had at the copy shop after 5:30. Awesome! Since I bike to work a lot of the time (midtown Manhattan—yes, it's insane) I can swing by on my way home and snag my swag.

I get to the copy shop at 6:40 and I'm waiting for the woman in front of me to ship her package when a guy rushes in and basically cuts to the front of the line (which is just me). Normally, being a long-time NY'er, I'd give this guy a piece of my mind and tell him to wait like everyone else. But for whatever reason, I was feeling pretty chill and very happy to be getting my parts so soon that I just let it go.

Without a word, the guy puts down a package and a $20 bill on the counter, and the copy dude rings him up, also without saying a word. Took all of 10 seconds. Copy dude then asks what I need and I say I'm there to pick up from Small Bear. Copy dude takes the package just paid for and slides it over to me. The "line cutter" was Steve from Small Bear, and he said he was worried that he was going to miss the drop off! I introduced myself and thanked him for being able to pick up same day and for his all around great service. He's just as nice as you'd imagine him to be! We then helped the woman in front of me with the location of the nearest police precinct and I was out of there.

As far as I'm concerned, and with the exception of some enclosures from PPP, a few thing from BLMS, and some SMD parts that Small Bear doesn't carry, Steve gets all my money. And i learned that sometimes it pays to STFU!

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

gtr2

I met Steve at a guitar show in Philly.  Very nice down to earth gentleman.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DutchMF

That is just uber-nice!! Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jimilee

Quote from: Droogie on April 18, 2014, 04:47:05 PM
So I order from Small Bear yesterday and ask for local pickup (since I live a few miles from their mail drop). Per usual, I get an email around 5:00 saying the package can be had at the copy shop after 5:30. Awesome! Since I bike to work a lot of the time (midtown Manhattan—yes, it's insane) I can swing by on my way home and snag my swag.

I get to the copy shop at 6:40 and I'm waiting for the woman in front of me to ship her package when a guy rushes in and basically cuts to the front of the line (which is just me). Normally, being a long-time NY'er, I'd give this guy a piece of my mind and tell him to wait like everyone else. But for whatever reason, I was feeling pretty chill and very happy to be getting my parts so soon that I just let it go.

Without a word, the guy puts down a package and a $20 bill on the counter, and the copy dude rings him up, also without saying a word. Took all of 10 seconds. Copy dude then asks what I need and I say I'm there to pick up from Small Bear. Copy dude takes the package just paid for and slides it over to me. The "line cutter" was Steve from Small Bear, and he said he was worried that he was going to miss the drop off! I introduced myself and thanked him for being able to pick up same day and for his all around great service. He's just as nice as you'd imagine him to be! We then helped the woman in front of me with the location of the nearest police precinct and I was out of there.

As far as I'm concerned, and with the exception of some enclosures from PPP, a few thing from BLMS, and some SMD parts that Small Bear doesn't carry, Steve gets all my money. And i learned that sometimes it pays to STFU!
Wait wait wait, What was the deal with the Lady and the cops?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjcyates

QuoteSo I order from Small Bear yesterday and ask for local pickup (since I live a few miles from their mail drop). Per usual, I get an email around 5:00 saying the package can be had at the copy shop after 5:30. Awesome! Since I bike to work a lot of the time (midtown Manhattan—yes, it's insane) I can swing by on my way home and snag my swag.

What a cool story. 
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Simple rule but it always seems to work!

Leevibe

Not surprising about Steve. Great story. GO SMALLBEAR!!!

Droogie

Quote from: jimilee on April 18, 2014, 07:09:14 PM

Wait wait wait, What was the deal with the Lady and the cops?

Pretty mundane actually. She just needed to drop off a form about lost property or something and asked Steve and copy dude, neither of whom live in the neighborhood I guess—I just gave her directions since I was the only one who knew (and not from experience).
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric