News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baja Small Clone Chorus Help

Started by pryde, March 12, 2014, 02:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Picked up an etched Baja Small Clone pcb from Haberdasher and populated it according to the layout diagram with no mods/subs but am getting NO chorus?

Basically it is passing clean signal (with a slight volume decrease) and the rate/depth controls have no effect. Also the 100k trim pot has no effect either.

Has anyone built one who could post some voltages or throw me a bone?

Thanks in advance!

jimilee

It'd be silly to ask if it's a known good 3007 and did you check the polarity on your diode, but we've all been there.  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Voltages will tell the tale, expect to see moving voltages on the 358 (suggesting the LFO works) 1/2 supply on Pin 1,2,3,5,6 & 7 of the 4558 for audio, near half voltage on pins 2 & 6 of the 3007 and 10 & 11 of the 4047 (this indicates the 4047 is at least in theory working) and if none of that is the case, can move forward.

Do NOT assume as it's the most expensive part the BBD (3007) is dead.
Works at Lectric-FX

pryde

So after some researching on FSB I came to realize my diodes where flipped (good thinking Jimilee!)

Swapped em around and all is well in swirly chorus land  ;)

Thanks for jumping in fast guys! sorry I jumped the gun but over-confidence served me a shit sandwich  :(

jimilee

Quote from: pryde on March 12, 2014, 03:40:44 AM
So after some researching on FSB I came to realize my diodes where flipped (good thinking Jimilee!)

Thanks for jumping in fast guys! sorry I jumped the gun but over-confidence served me a shit sandwich  :(
Happens to the best if us. I built a chorus and damn near flung it as far as I could, then I realizes the diode was backwards!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

On the layout I posted above the 1n914 anodes (+) are labeled incorrectly. If building this one you should put the diodes in opposite of what the layout suggests

Anyway, nice sounding chorus

Haberdasher

i had the 1n914's backwards when i built mine too now that i think about it!
Glad you got it working bro
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pryde

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 12, 2014, 12:36:47 PM
i had the 1n914's backwards when i built mine too now that i think about it!
Glad you got it working bro

Yes I was damn stumped on this one. If you look at the tonepad layout it has the diodes oriented correctly.

Also, crazy good job etching this board el dude! Very small and tight traces everywhere are crisp and clear.

pryde

Quote from: Scruffie on March 12, 2014, 03:27:09 AM
Voltages will tell the tale, expect to see moving voltages on the 358 (suggesting the LFO works) 1/2 supply on Pin 1,2,3,5,6 & 7 of the 4558 for audio, near half voltage on pins 2 & 6 of the 3007 and 10 & 11 of the 4047 (this indicates the 4047 is at least in theory working) and if none of that is the case, can move forward.

Do NOT assume as it's the most expensive part the BBD (3007) is dead.

I was going to start a new thread on this question but since this one is here I will ask:

Any issues running this circuit on 15 volts? I know the mn3007 can handle it but not sure about the LM358 or 4047 chip.

If so, would anything else need tweaking in the circuit? I would likely do a regulated 15v road rage to power it if I can.

Comparing this to the 15v pork barrel I hear a noticeable difference in clarity and bass response with the PB. I assume part of that is the 15v operation. However, I like the sweep/modulation a little better in the small clone.

Thanks for the advice

juansolo

Quote from: pryde on March 12, 2014, 03:40:44 AM

Yep been there, done that... Might even have been on this build come to think of it  :-[
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Haberdasher

you should be able to run it at 15v
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pryde

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 13, 2014, 12:03:58 AM
you should be able to run it at 15v

Thanks Keefe. I went ahead and tested it with a 15v road rage and do like the difference I am hearing. Even a lower levels there is more clearness/fidelity and highs retained with the effect on. I think running this one at 15v is worth it for those interested.