News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Ring Mod?

Started by mattlee0037, March 13, 2014, 05:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattlee0037

I've tried searching the topic and the coolest one I found was at circuit salad but it was 60 bucks for 3 boards. Anyone know of any cool ringmods? I really like Randy's Revenge, but there's nothing floating around about it that I can tell.

midwayfair

Any ring modulator is going to have a pretty big board and thus cost a bit. Wasn't someone doing a PCB layout for the Circuit Salad one?

lincolnic

There's the PAIA kit, which isn't bad, but I was never able to get the carrier bleed to an acceptable level on mine.

mattlee0037

I'd be find if I could do 1 for 20. If that's the best DIY option maybe I'll try to find 2 others who want one. Carrier bleed is a concern of mine anyone built the circuit salad one?

Droogie

You could try a Nyquist Aliaser, which is a really simple build. Maybe not a true ring mod, but some sounds that lead in that direction. A search on the Google machine yields a vero layout from DIYSB that I used (not sure if it's good form to link directly?) I would modify it to use non-multi-turn trimmers, though. That was a PITA!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

flanagan0718

I thought John Hollis had a layout. I think it is ring mod "ish". I do believe there is a toggle switch that switches it to a tremolo....I want to say frobicator?
The schematic was pretty simple with easy to find parts from what i remember. But it also wasn't a "true" ring mod. idk, it's on my list to build.

mattlee0037

Sweet I'm digging the frobnicator from the soundclips I looked up and looks simple.

flanagan0718

Quote from: mattlee0037 on March 13, 2014, 07:26:20 PM
Sweet I'm digging the frobnicator from the soundclips I looked up and looks simple.
Yeah I looked it up a few months ago and it sounded pretty cool from what I remember. I thought i found a Vero fro it too, it was on either Sabrotone or Tagboard. Anyways, if you end up building it let me know how it came out.

mattlee0037

Yeah I saw the one on tagboard and geo has an etchable, I probably won't get to it for a month or so, but I'm very interested.

alanp

There is the String Ringer project (the Lovetone Ring Stinger), but it is pretty complicated.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mattlee0037

I want to venture into that one day, but alas I haven't attempted anything near that yet so I will wait.