News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus cap question

Started by randall, December 10, 2013, 02:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randall

Hello. I have everything I need for a nautilus build, except the two 1n8 caps. How imperative is this value, could I use 1500 pF instead? Thanks.

hoodoo

Hi mate, i've just populated a nautilus and struck the same problem as yourself. I had tayda 1n5's and 2n2's at hand. I measured the 2n2's and they all measured higher as did the 1n8's, so i suggest giving this a go as i found 2 that were 1.81 and 1.80 nf. I usually never measure caps before using them, however after this i think i will, see how you go, Matt.

randall

I went to my local supply house and measured several 2000 pF rated ceramics until I found two that measured 1800 and 1740. Close enough, and it works first time powered on!

BrokeDownSouth

I ran into this too... I had some ceramic caps marked '202', so I figured they'd be close enough.  I measured them to see if some were a little low and they all measured 2400-2600pf!  I grabbed some Tayda box caps marked '1n5J' and the were all dead on 1500pf, nice.  Since C5/C6, C7/C8 are switched, I figured 1.5nf would be a better option b/c I'd get a little more noticeable difference switching from the 2.2nf.