Ego Driver (Fulltone OCD) diodes

Started by Rethfing, March 05, 2014, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rethfing

Hey madbeaners!

Some time ago I built Ego Driver as a Fulltone OCD copy. I used:
germaniun 1n34a for D1
red 5mm LED for D3 and D4
I also have switch wired up, but not sure what it does. Does it switch on D1 along with D3 and D4 which are active all the time?

My main question is what diodes I should use to make my copy sound exactly like Fulltone OCD. Here is the demo I made in the past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Iijic6miFQA#t=436
(there are also Krankasaurus and BB Preamp demos from MadBeanPedals if you like to hear them).
The sound is just too fuzzy, not accurate, how can I improve that? Is it because of the germanium diode? If I use regular 1n34a will it be fine?

Cheers
Maciek

murdog47

The stock OCD uses mosfet clipping...thats what those 2n7000's are doing with the 1n34a. The LED's the the place of the mosfets when you flip the clip switch. There are several different versions of the OCD, if you want to sound the same figure out which version you like and google the schematic for that version.

murdog47

Rethfing

I see that in the schematics for v4 and v3 there is also 1n4148 diode which is not included in MadBeans Ego Driver. Dont know what to do about that.
If you say, that the switch adds leds then I should be ok with the diodes I have. Im just going to change the germanium diode to regular one and see if that helps to get better tone.

murdog47

Were do you see the 1n4148? I don't believe the OCD ever had one in the clipping section.

Rethfing

Click

Click2

Dunno if its in the clipping section, im not too good schematic reader.

I swapped the germaniun 1n34a for regular 1n4148 and the difference is huge, the pedal now sounds very nice. Dont have normal 1n34a in stock now so I cant try it, but I might just leave it the way it is now.

Rethfing

Quote from: Rethfing on March 05, 2014, 05:56:38 PM
Click

Click2

Dunno if its in the clipping section, im not too good schematic reader. Im aware that these may not be official schematics but I hope they are based on such.

I swapped the germaniun 1n34a for regular 1n4148 and the difference is huge, the pedal now sounds very nice. Dont have normal 1n34a in stock now so I cant try it, but I might just leave it the way it is now.

murdog47

That is for polarity protection it is not needed. It's doing the same thing as the 1n4001 on the ego driver. There will be no difference in tone here.