News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions Requested - American Standard Strat

Started by angrykoko, February 23, 2014, 10:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

I too would go with a set of Lace Sensors, they can really make the guitar.  My personal preference is an all gold set, but there are a pile of options out there.

That being said, I also really love the CS Fat 50s.  I've got a set of three in a 2012 American Std I've got, and a neck and middle with a SD Twangbanger in the bridge in a 97 American Std Relic.

If you're looking for a more modern setup, a couple of SD Alnico Pros in the in neck and middle with a Dimarzio Tone Zone S in the bridge is a killer setup.

The seven or 13 sound settings are fun, anything beyond that is too much like work, and you won't find much in there that you'd use.

Wire up the G&L PTB tone system in place of the two tone pots, you can find the schematic online and it sounds a pile better than the standard setup.

As far as the trem goes, if you're not going to use is, just put five springs on it and adjust it so it never warbles when you bend.  If you want less treble, try installing one of the GFS brass blocks on it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: angrykoko on February 24, 2014, 12:49:28 AM
wow, that was fast.  Thanks!
I'll give the Gilmour mod on a push-pull a try (sounds like a money maker mod no matter what).

Sorry Jacob, I already have more pedals / parts than I know what to do with.

So you guys got me googling with the "Gilmour" comment..  tuns out my other favorite strat player: Mr. Richie Blackmore hated that middle pickup too for the same reason that I do. Sounds like maybe he just lowered it way down out of the way (simple enough).
Hey! iMO the start should be as it is! And yes, the middle pup is annoying! I lowered mine as well and is better! Blackmore says that use only 2 positions , neck and bridge! Fie some Gilmour and Kopfler its cool to use the middle/neck position!
I love the versatility of the strat, but i think im getting more into the Les Paul tone!
I have a olympic white, what is urs?
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

AllenM

I ended up setting both my strats as "Strat-pauls" as I like to call them.... Syemour Lil JB Bridge and Lil 59 Neck with a 3-way switch and coil taps on the tone knobs (so I can still get a "single coil" sound if needed. Blocked the bridges since I don't use the tremolo. On the white strat the middle pickup is a dummy just to give the guitar the 3 pup look

AllenM

jimilee

Wait so are you left handed or do you play them upside down? The red with granite pick guard looks great, I have a pbass I did the same scheme to.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AllenM

Left-handed... so every guitar I own is pretty much customized since I rarely find an off the rack piece thats not 2k plus with the options I like :)

AllenM

gordo

I got a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder for my old beater strat back in the day that SD was a few lines of type in the back of Guitar Player, and Seymour answered the phone (dating myself here) but it's been a great beefy sounding bridge pickup without losing the "stratness".
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lincolnic

Quote from: AllenM on February 24, 2014, 09:16:55 PM
Left-handed... so every guitar I own is pretty much customized since I rarely find an off the rack piece thats not 2k plus with the options I like :)

AllenM

I thought Govmnt_Lacky and I were the only ones! Glad to know there are more lefties here.

angrykoko

Gotta love youtube.  found lots of badly recorded videos of the Gilmour switch and some before/afters for stock pickups vs lace's you guys listed.

I have to say the Lace Sensors were "wow".  that was night and day.

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 24, 2014, 07:03:00 PM
If you're looking for a more modern setup, a couple of SD Alnico Pros in the in neck and middle with a Dimarzio Tone Zone S in the bridge is a killer setup.

this is my delema.. not sure yet but I see lots of love for those TZ-S pickups.

Thanks again.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

GermanCdn

The TZ-S sounds a lot better then the full size TZ IMHO.  Maybe it's the wood combination, maybe it's the slant, I don't know, but it's one of the few times where the strat version works better.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.