News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

did I blow my 5 volt regulator?

Started by danwelsh, February 25, 2014, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys.....I think I blew my 5 volt regulator for the loophole. I had the 78l05 from tayda(the one with the heatsink) and wired up my Looper and it worked for a few mins....then I could smell burning electronics and a puff of smoke came from the regulator, I immediately unplugged it and touched the regulator which was of course very hot. I think I most likely fried the regulator but am worried I may have also cooked the record chip.....I plugged it back in a while later and checked the voltage on the regulator and have 9 volts in but only .5 of a volt on the output.....are these regulators no good for this circuit and does anyone know if I may have fried my expensive record chip or would it be okay because of no output voltage when it blew?

RobA

Are you sure the  one you had was a 78L05 and not a 7805? The versions with the heatsink tabs are usually the non-L versions. Check the orientation on the pins because the two types in different cases have reversed pin orientation. As a first guess, the power probably didn't get through to your chip, so hopefully it's fine.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

danwelsh

Quote from: RobA on February 25, 2014, 02:00:55 PM
Are you sure the  one you had was a 78L05 and not a 7805? The versions with the heatsink tabs are usually the non-L versions. Check the orientation on the pins because the two types in different cases have reversed pin orientation. As a first guess, the power probably didn't get through to your chip, so hopefully it's fine.

I just checked....its actually a lm7805

LaceSensor

be careful of the pinouts... I seem to recall them being reversed.

danwelsh

okay thanks guys....I ordered ten 78L05s as my buddy's regulator is shot in his reverb so ill be able to fix that as well