News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Minivache Log

Started by alanp, August 14, 2013, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Okay, so I've had a spare button-style 2n3565 lying around for over a year, now. My LaVache is one of the pedals that has never left my board :) With the recent 1590A builds I did, I decided to experiment. With a 1590A LaVache, preferably with board mounted pots 'cos I'm lazy. I decided to ditch the clipping switch (I tend to leave it alone normally anyway), and hardwire the boost stuck on, since that's how I normally have it anyway.

Time to fire up Eagle! After some titu'ing, I ended up with this:

And waited a month for the boards to get back from OSHpark. (Along with one of their new stickers -- got one on my monitor atm.)

A bit of testfitting showed that I'd mucked up -- the metal stand-off brackets on the board-mounted 9mm pots would short out on component legs. So I would need to rip 'em off -- hopefully this won't muck up the pots themselves.

Time to smell the solder!

So, that's where I stand now. I just have to drill up the 1590A and wire it all together (got all the parts, just need to muster up some be-bothered-ness.)

Tested it on the testbox, it sounds pretty dang nice! Some noise, hopefully that's cos it was sitting on top of the speaker cab and exposed to the world. Just like my boost-on LaVache.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

billstein

Quote from: alanp on August 14, 2013, 11:49:27 PM

I just have to drill up the 1590A and wire it all together (got all the parts, just need to muster up some be-bothered-ness.)

For some reason that cracked me up. I think it's because I can relate lately. Trying to drag myself into the garage and actually get some work done is not an easy task.

Anyway, great stuff. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

alanp

I wanted to drill up the box for my cheese project, so I did the Minivache at the same time. I like the look of enclosures all drilled up, they speak of promise, and projects that WILL be done (and annoy the earholes of someone out there, eventually.)

Button 2n3565 there, doesn't show up well against the purple PCB. I laid the In and Out points on the wrong sides of the PCB... live and learn, I guess. I used the open frame 1/4" jacks deliberately, to get more room for the PCB (I can cram 'em together closer than I can the usual 1590A jacks I use.)

So. This is a 1590A sized LaVache with (kinda) PCB mounted pots, boost stuck permanently on, and semi-selectable diode clipping (if you socket them.) I'm more a set and forget guy when it comes to clipping switches, so this is okay with me. Sounds pretty good, too!

Log done. (Not much of one, either.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

wolfingsworth

Those are incredibly tidy guts for a baby build. Nice layout!

GVC66

Hi alan do you have a BOM for this.  I did not see one on osh.

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

GVC66