News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any builders in Mexico? And NGD

Started by Luke51411, February 18, 2016, 01:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I came to Mexico for the month of January for a certification course for teaching English as a second language. I planned to come back to the US early Feb but it looks like I may be here until July now. I can only hold down the urge to build for so long haha. I just picked up a cheap Mexican classical guitar so at least I can play again! I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips or tricks for building here. I'm sure I can pick up a soldering iron somewhere, as for components I have no idea other than scrounging. I will probably go back to the US for a week or two sometime fairly soon. I'll plan on bringing some projects back with me then too.

peAk

ahh that's cool

I was just wondering where you have been.

Luke51411

Quote from: peAk on February 18, 2016, 02:08:30 PM
ahh that's cool

I was just wondering where you have been.
yeah its been a pretty incredible journey so far. Randomly another builder posted on the diystompboxes facebook page that he was bumming around Mexico and just built a portable amp. He had been in the city I'm staying in (San Cristobal de las casas) and pointed me to where I could buy a cheap Mexican guitar. I just picked one up for 700 pesos (<$40) its a classical that had metal strings on it. I replaced with nylon strings and it sounds really good! It has the issues you would expect with a cheap guitar, doesn't stay in tune long, intonation, fretwork, etc but it looks good and plays nice! I would expect to pay closer to $150 in the US for similar quality.

Luke51411

Potato picture of NGD! Made in Paracho Mexico

Luke51411

Ugh... I'm really getting the itch to build something. I have had the time to find/aquire parts and equipment to build with yet though. I think being away from building for a while will give me a newfound enjoyment of the proccess when I am able to get back at it.
for now, I'm just glad I found a guitar. I don't know what I would do without that.

Other than that everything is going wel I've found a couple jobs teaching English and learning Spanish. I've found that trying to learn Spanish language songs on guitar is very helpful in learning the language.