News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Darkside Transistor Pinout correlation?

Started by steveyraff, February 13, 2014, 08:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hi guys,

Long story, but this is my first pedal build and I think I am in WAY over my head. Its only now that I am nearly completion that I realise I could have started with something MUCH easier.

So far I've followed the PDF guide and I've soldered in all my components and all my outboard wiring. The only thing I've left to do now, is to insert my Transistors into their sockets. I have the sockets all already soldered in.

So I have a diagram showing me the pinouts of all my transistors.

I have one BC549, two BC547B's and three BC547's.

However, the schematic guide I am using doesn't state which pins go where on the circuit. I am using the Madbean PDF. I am using the schematic on the very LAST page. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Darkside/docs/Darkside_ver.2.pdf

Can someone please help me get my pinouts correct so I can plug this in and see if it works?!

Also, one final thing. Right now I don't have an LED wired up. Unlike most guides I've seen, it doesn't seem to wire up to the footswitch, but instead it shows a place for the LED in the circuit at the left hand side. Do I just wire the LED in there?

Many thanks, (lots of noob questions I know - Sorry!)
Steve.

mattlee0037

So, one way to figure it out is too look at the circuit. The prescribed transistors are bc549's so look up the pinout for those and for the transistors you have and match them. So the BC549 you have goes in the way the picture shows. And from my quick google it looks like all the pinouts match for the rest so follow all the silkscreened pictures! Best of luck firing it up

steveyraff

Oh cool, so I can just follow the pictures. That was easy!

I'll really have to research this more for future builds.

Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.

Steve.

steveyraff

steveyraff

I think I am close to getting it to work. See the left hand side of the schematic I am using? With the LED symbol? Do I put the LED in there and which way around? At the moment i just have two wires soldered in there .

I hear nothing but noise until I touch a metal surface. Then it sounds like the pedal actual works nicely. I don't think I have it grounded yet in any way? Is this correct?

P.S The circuit is not yet in its enclosure.

steveyraff

Ok LED is working now.

I am nearly there! When I plug it in all I hear is AWFUL buzzing. But when I play with one hand and touch something metal with the other hand - it actually sounds AMAZING! I am so excited now!

Can someone please just tell me how to ground the thing properly while it is out of its enclosure - then I can rock out and enjoy all my hard work!

GermanCdn

If it's out of it's enclosure, make sure you've got both the input and the output jack grounded and you should be good to go.

Glad you're having fun.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

steveyraff

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 13, 2014, 10:24:54 PM
If it's out of it's enclosure, make sure you've got both the input and the output jack grounded and you should be good to go.

Glad you're having fun.

I am a total noob, this is my first build.

Can you please tell me how exactly to ground them? ie exactly what goes where?

Sorry!

I am having A LOT of fun, but playin with one hand and grounding with my other hand aint much fun lol

GermanCdn

If you're not using a 3PDT board (like the one's Josh/1776 sells), then use a star grounding technique and run all of your grounds to one to the ground lugs (the one which contacts the sleeve) on your input jack.  This includes the grounds from your 9V supply, the grounds from your board, the ground from your 3PDT, and the ground from you're output jack.

If you're using a 3PDT, just hook them up as they are indicated and you're ready to rock.

Refer to Brian's typical hookup diagram on the projects page.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.