News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fluence printed pickups

Started by jubal81, February 04, 2014, 05:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Dunno if you guys have seen these, but Fishman is about to start selling electric guitar pickups that are printed to circuit boards rather than wound with wire. The idea is that every pickup is consistent, modeled after the best sounding examples and totally hum-free. They're also paired with an active preamp (battery - boo).

I'm typically a luddite, but this looks really interesting to me. I HATE components that aren't consistent unit-to-unit and pickups are one of the biggest offenders. The demos sound really good, too. I'm most impressed with how impossibly quiet they are.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

crashguitar

These are the one thing recently announced that sound really cool to me. Pick-ups are definitely a way to change the sound of any electric guitar and these seem like a really cool way to make them repeatable.

Chad

jkokura

I'm always wary of "new and better."

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pietro_moog

i don't like these pick ups but i think i need a strat

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on February 04, 2014, 06:18:45 PM
I'm always wary of "new and better."

Jacob

I'm in the same boat, for whatever reason, the existing technology has yet to be defeated.  Look at Lace, they make same nice pickups, different ideas, sound cool in their own way.  And how many guitar makers install them as stock - pretty sure no one anymore, Fender stopped after they developed the Noiseless series.  Not saying they aren't a good product (I loved the tone of my gold Lace Sensors in one of my strats til I sold it), but for whatever reason, there are only two designs which dominate the market, and it seems nearly impossible to change after 65 years.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

micromegas

I did see that in proguitarshop's NAMM videos, and also discovered this: http://www.zexcoil.com/ not that innovative, but they sound good and are hum cancelling too
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

RobA

They look freaking cool to me. But I'm really grumpy now. I've been working for about a month or so on a LiPo battery pack that would work very much like he described to use on SD, EMG, and acoustic pickup systems. I would guess that I'll be putting that to the side now.

Did he say 48 layer board? I've never even heard of such a thing. Anyway, I think these have some real potential. I've got SD Blackouts in my SG now and they are incredible. Just the improvement in the way the volume knob works is worth the move, not to mention the fact that the tone control is now truly useful. There's so much potential for other types of EQ too. The only downside really is the need for a 9V battery. With these having the rechargeable system already built in -- they could be great.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).