News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zonkin’ Yellow Screamer

Started by aeroemi, January 29, 2014, 10:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeroemi

Hi folks! I was looking for a TS808/TS9 to build, as close as possible to the originals for my guitar teacher, and then, magically, I came across this Zonkin' Yellow Screamer

:o :o :o :o :o  WHOAAA
I still have no words... it is amazing! it's basically a heavily modded 808, but I can't find any schematic out there...

Have you ever heard about it?

micromegas

BYOC OD II with possible mods.

Here you have a picture of the inside:

extracted from the Duhvoodooman's webpage.

And here a demo of one of the byocs:
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jkokura

Yup, that's a BYOC OD2. BYOC provides Kits for people to learn to build their own effects.

DuhVooDooMan is a regular contributer (maybe a moderator) at the BYOC forum, which is similar to this forum, but supports the BYOC effects.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

micromegas

you can buy the kit from B.Y.O.C or build a madbean's Green Bean and stick a booster in front of it (like, for example, JMK's Wakizhasi boost, which is based on a design I heard sounds good with tubescreamers)

micromegas

also, the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer" seems to add a switch to change the order of the boost&od combo (od->boost or boost->od) there's plenty of info about how to do that on the web. And can be easily done with a 3PDT if you don't mind having only one led indicator

aeroemi

Quote from: micromegas on January 29, 2014, 10:50:03 PM
you can buy the kit from B.Y.O.C or build a madbean's Green Bean and stick a booster in front of it (like, for example, JMK's Wakizhasi boost, which is based on a design I heard sounds good with tubescreamers)

Thanks guys... mmm, actually I don't think it'll be pretty much the same...
The circuits themselves are very different each other (not only for the presence of a booster section); I've recently built a Green Bean, but I've found few flaws in it:
1) the drive knob doesn't add so much gain once you turn it over the 12 o clock, it seems that once you reach a certain level of gain (at about 11/12 o clock), it doesn't increase any more even if you keep turning the knob clockwise  :o
2) Probably I choose the wrong diodes combination (two 1N34A in the symmetrical section, and one 1N4001 and two 1N34A in the asymmetrical section)...   :-[, but I think that using the 2N5088 (or something like that), instead of the 2SC1518 (like the original TS808), affects the sound very much...

This (togheter with a different caps values... tantalum or not...) cause the Green Bean to be less touch sensitive and dynamic responsive than the original TS9/TS808 (altough I know that the Green Bean it's not a merely clone, and it's not even meant to be...)...

But for this I don't actually think that Green Bean and Zonkin' Yellow screamer are comparable, or, the same except for the boost section...