News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why won't the back of my bridge take solder?

Started by PhiloB, January 26, 2014, 01:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Trying to ground the electronics to the back of the bridge but solder won't 'stick'.  Using a 20W iron.  Do I need something more significant or is there another issue?

selfdestroyer

Its the chrome plating. Use a bit of sand paper and scuff up the place you want to soldier to. Also use flux to clean the area. I had this issue also.

alanp

PEC potentiometer covers are also known for not taking solder, in amp builds.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

A dremel with a sanding wheel makes quick work of getting down to bare metal. Selfdestroyer is spot on. Flux helps a lot too. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

PhiloB

davent

All the above plus 20watts just may just not be enough spunk...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Never soldered to the back of a bridge, just smooshed the wire between the bridge and the body.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

PhiloB

Jimilee, I got lazy and did just that.  Originally I had done that and experienced grounding issues.  So, I exposed more wire.  Working fine now.  Now I know what to do with a pot that won't talk solder though, I've run across that before