News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Internal pedal connector for quick swap FF vero

Started by gjcamann, January 24, 2014, 01:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjcamann

I'd like to mess around with a few fuzz faces built on vero. Mostly 2 knobers. A FF on vero is so easy to build, but I'd like to cut down on the rest of the work of putting this in a pedal.
I have this idea, where I make a vero with a type of FF with pots wired too, then using a 4 wire connector "plug" it into my FF enclosure (that has the 2 holes for the pots, power, jacks, LED, footswitch etc), tighten the pots up and i'm done! This way I could easily swap out my FF vero when I get tired of it.

Any suggestions on a good type of connector to use? I'm thinking cable-to-cable, or I could use a cable-to-board or board-to-board type connector and just solder leads onto the pins that mount on the board. I'd also like something that doesn't require crimping - so I won't need to buy a crimp tool, but I could borrow one a work despite the harry eyeballs there.

I tried looking on mouser, but the choices are staggering. Anyone have a suggestion? or better way of doing this?

rullywowr

If using cable to cable or cable to board connector you can use 2.54mm spaced "molex" connectors and receptacles.  Another choice would be to use rigid "header pins" also in 2.54mm.  There are sockets available as well.  The 2.54mm spacing will ensure it plugs into your Vero nicely.  They make them in both single/double rows and in straight/right angle varieties.  There are standard pin length and long too depending on the application.

You can find all of the above at Tayda for cheap.  These connectors are popular with the Arduino/Rasberry Pi communities too...check out www.adafruit.com and www.sparkfun.com for some ideas on how to implement them.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gjcamann

Perfect! Actually, through adafruit I found the JST-SM connector which will work for me now. I'll probably make provisions on my next footswitch board for the 2.54 next time. 10 pairs shipped for $7.50!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-JST-SM-4-Pin-4P-Connector-Pairs-4M-4F-WS2801-LPD8806-Addressable-LED-/151096281844?_trksid=p2054897.l4276
Thanks!
Last week I just ordered some of your foSHO boards to trying out that whole OSHPark think.