News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Mount Pots

Started by GeorgeFormanGrill, January 17, 2014, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeFormanGrill

This may be answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it after a search. I'm attempting to make the Bumblebee and am curious about the PCB mount pots. I already have some pots that will work, but they are not PCB mounts. Can I use any old pot or does it have to be mounted?

Thanks for any help.
George

muddyfox

You can make any pot into a pcb mount pot. Just solder some solid wire (or component lead leftovers, 1n4001 for example) to the pot pins/lugs and bend them 90 degrees.

Edit: of course, if you don't like the pot placement on the board, just don't make them pcb mounted and wire them someplace else.  :D

GermanCdn

Welcome to the forum! 

Solder lug pots will work fine as well, PCB mount pots are just quicker and easier, and they secure your board in place.  Just make sure you've got the right lugs matched up and you'll be fine.  You can also build your own PCB mount pots with waste diode legs (like off a 1N4001) or some solid core wire (18 Ga works well).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Awesome! Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. Huge help.

One last question: Are there any major differences between axial and radial caps or is it really just a matter of preference? Trying to decide which to pick up for the Bumblebee.

Thanks again,
George

pryde

Quote from: GeorgeFormanGrill on January 17, 2014, 09:32:48 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. Huge help.

One last question: Are there any major differences between axial and radial caps or is it really just a matter of preference? Trying to decide which to pick up for the Bumblebee.

Thanks again,
George

Preference. Axial caps for a bit more "mojo" look

alanp

Axial caps are less likely to break off due to stress on the component legs, but radial caps take up a lot less footprint on the board. It's a trade-off either way.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website