Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some insight into the KTR manufacturing

Started by culturejam, January 24, 2014, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Thought this was interesting:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=17015361#post17015361

That links straight to a post from the guy at Rocket Pedals, which apparently had some involvement.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

You made me read the thread  >:(

EDIT to save anyone else the pain of 70 pages of dribble. Here's the pertinent stuff:

--

Since the thread was closed I could not respond to a post recalling an earlier thread where we said we had nothing to do with the KTR production and that Bill was just sharing our booth at NAMM.

That is exactly what we posted back then since Bill asked us to post that. That was before Bill had decided to commit to the manufacturing. I assure you we built the first 1500 KTR units through "Outsource Manufacturing" in Carlsbad CA. We had nothing to do with the design since it was already done when he brought it to us. I am not trying to create controversy just letting people know the truth. I have no idea if Bill has found another manufacturer or not.

Also, another comment I saw was why did Bill stop building the Original Silver and Gold Klons. He simply could not build them fast enough so he created a redesign for large production capability. I am sure he has other reasons as well but that is the one I am aware of.

Not sure large production was ever his intention but the KTR is an SMT design with a circuit board on the foot switch, ribbon wiring from the foot switch to the board etc. 80% of the parts were machine placed and so on an so forth for large production.

We had slated 4,500 units to be built but Bill bailed out before the remainder of the units could be built.

Rockett

--

I read somewhere he HAD outsourced them, to Rockett pedals, no idea if that is true or not.

It is true, we built the first 1500 units

--

then what happened?

Bill bailed out for whatever reason. 4,500 were slated to be built. Who knows how he will pull it off at this point.

--

I can't imagine Bill not being satisfied with something you guys are supervising! Rockett stuff is top notch. If you can address it, What's Bills deal?

Hard to say, since it was SMT there are only so many ways it can be done. The quality was as good as SMT will allow. The design was 100% Bill's team and it was built to his specs. When a large number of units are being built there will be failures etc. but that always has to be factored in.

Not that that was the reason Bill bailed......we just had different visions as to how the pedal should have been built that's all. I hope he finds a builder for the sake of the willing buyers.....I would have preferred to see something that payed more homage to the actual Centaur and that could have been done easily.

--

Wow. So are there units that are still waiting at your facility?

No more units available, the 1500 we built went pretty well immediately, like 3 days. Bill took 100 for himself and we distributed 1,400 to various dealers. There were more slated to be built but that is when Bill bailed out.

--

This thread was forwarded to me to address one thing and that is; who built the KTR's that were sold.

It was not EHX it was us (Rockett) we built 1,500 units before Bill decided to go elsewhere. 1,500 units were built in our facility in Carlsbad, CA which is where all Rockett stuff is built as well.

We did not have anything to do with the design, Bill just needed a place to manufacture. We sourced the parts for the builds and built them to Bill's specs.

We have no idea where Bill went from there, hopefully he found a manufacturer.

I know this is an EHX thread but I do not want misinformation out there about who built the KTR's.

Rockett
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk