News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bumblee Caps

Started by GeorgeFormanGrill, January 18, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeFormanGrill

Hi All:

I'm trying to make extra sure I buy the correct caps for the Bumblebee build. The build doc suggests Mallory 150s for the axials, but I can't seem to find those anywhere I look (I usually buy from Mouser). Does anyone have suggestions for alternatives? If you wouldn't mind telling me the correct voltage, as well, that would be awesome. Also, the non-electrolytic caps should be ceramic, right? Just trying to do my homework this time. I attempted the Mangler a month back and really phoned in buying the correct parts. I paid the price, and am being extra cautious this time.

Thanks so much,
George

jkokura

Mallory is also known as Cornell Dublier on Mouser.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

As Jacob said, cornell-dublier is the Mallory 150 cap brand.

Just FYI: you do not have to use axial capacitors as the pcb will also accept standard radial caps.

The non-electrolytic caps (C1,C4,C5) are not ceramic, you would use the Mallory 150's or whatever you choose for these.

Voltage rating is not really any issue with most pedal builds so try to stick with 25-50v to keep the caps small so they fit well on the pcb. Larger voltage ratings won't hurt any, just not necessary.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea Mallory was Cornell Dubilier on Mouser. Thanks.

Just to clarify: C1, C4, C5 are not ceramic. Are they axial/radial film caps? For example, would this work for C1?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/150104J400EC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF9O2k7r3G2yZZHGWHf53pak%3d

Thanks again,
George

pryde

Correct. Ceramic caps are typically used for very small values in pedal builds. When you see a cap value with "pf" in a build doc then it would likely be a ceramic.

The ones in your link will work if you want to use axial caps. However, if you want a less expensive option then these radial caps are fine. you will hear no audible difference between the choices so its your call on how you want it to look:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPCOS/B32529C104K189/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF21Ore5o4Wfqt1PEHXT1FYY%3d