Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Practical problems arranging the pedalboard

Started by Gledison, January 11, 2014, 12:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hello Everyone!
after i've got my pedaltrain new nightmares just started to show up! :P
Does anyone knows a book, or internet page, whatever that can help with practical problems on arranging the pedalboard? e.g:
chours, delay and flanger in loop 1. Distortions and booster on loop 2 for example.
would be great with only one switch, turn on all the loop 1, with other the loop 2, one for clean...
such a thing.
i know there is some looper/switches, but it seems to take too much place on the board...
I need to learn the basics of it, how to combine then, etc...in order to make my own decisions..
any help its highly appreciated!!!
Have a great busy weekend everyone!!
Gledison
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

Hey Gledison, here's something I built a while ago:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7727.msg66721#msg66721
Maybe there are some ideas in there to help you figure out what you want in your looper. If you like, I can help you out with switching arrangements and such, I have some diagrams that might help. A bit of warning: it is quite large so it takes up quite a bit of pedalboard space, but it functions really well for my needs. I have a pretty big board (Gator Gig-Box), so all I had to do was remove my amps footswitch (the big Marshall 5-button type) to create some space, but I'm not sure how big your pedaltrain is.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Godverdamer!! ;)
Man ur the Saviour!
I've got a pdatrain Jr. I wont have more than 7 pedals at the moment! Im trying to figure it out if i could use a A/By switch that i have somehow!?
Can i sen u a  PM to dicuss it?
Dankjewell!;)

DutchMF

Quote from: Gledison on January 11, 2014, 01:20:25 PM
Godverdamer!! ;)
Man ur the Saviour!
I've got a pdatrain Jr. I wont have more than 7 pedals at the moment! Im trying to figure it out if i could use a A/By switch that i have somehow!?
Can i sen u a  PM to dicuss it?
Dankjewell!;)

Dude, you can PM me any time you want!

Herzlich Willkommen!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

I would also be happy to help out if I can. I can provide a few tips.

The most important thing about arranging a pedalboard is placing the effects you use the most within easy access or reach. If you're going to stand, or sit, in front of this board, you need to figure out what will be easy to reach and what won't be. Put the things you want to be able to reach easily close to the bottom. Pay attention to the way the jacks work.

One thing you can do is use some masking tape on a floor or table and recreate the dimensions of your pedalboard. Then, take your pedals and begin to place them on the 'pretend' pedalboard. Use real cables and connect them in the order you want. See if it all fits, and if you like the way you can reach the switches and knobs. Then, assemble it for real.

As for placing pedals in the right order, I only have one piece of advice: TRY IT OUT. The best way to figure out the order in which you want your pedals to be is to literally plug them in and try different orders out. Do you like Dirt before or after your delay? Does your trem go before or after your reverb? Does wah go before or after your fuzz?

Remember that when you order effects, every effect pedal is affected by the pedals after it. So for example, if you put delay before dirt, that means each repeat of the delay will be distorted by your dirt pedal. If you put delay after dirt, that means your distorted note will be repeated.

There are plenty of good videos and tutorials online. Google 'What order for a pedalboard' and you should see something helpful pop up.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Gledison

Thanks jacob as well! The idea of taping the floor tests arrangements is pretty handy! So much to try!
Cheers