News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with new project - Hotcake Clone!

Started by red.guitar, January 09, 2014, 09:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: red.guitar on January 10, 2014, 06:06:56 AM
Im still a little confused about how small bear names their caps. I've read that a lot of the time, distributors will lable caps as mf, when it really should be.

As in 10uf=10mf??

Yes. The funky "u" character is actually pronounced "micro" so mf = uF.  The "m" is just an abbreviation for "micro".

You may also see the "f" dropped at times.  An example is "10n" or "47u". 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

red.guitar

Okay. Cool.

Thanks for the verification!

than

alanp

With uF, the u is meant to represent the symbol for micro (so, uF == micro Farad.) With mF, it is a short acronym for microfarad.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

red.guitar

So Haberdasher mentioned earlier that most pedals run on 9v, or 16v caps, but its best to use 25v.

My problem is that I can only find the 10uf and 100uf caps in 25v electrolytic. I can only find the smaller ones (.01uf, .00047uf) in 600v orange drop caps. Would it be alright to order those, or should I look for something different?

jubal81

Quote from: red.guitar on January 10, 2014, 06:20:42 AM
My problem is that I can only find the 10uf and 100uf caps in 25v electrolytic. I can only find the smaller ones (.01uf, .00047uf) in 600v orange drop caps. Would it be alright to order those, or should I look for something different?

I always use 25V electros.

For the film, those 600Volt mammajammas will be way to big to fit on the board. You want the 50v or 63v box caps like the Topmays at Smallbear, which is where I think you said you are sourcing parts:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Capacitors+-+Low+Voltage+Film&searchpath=505710&start=17&total=30
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

red.guitar

Thanks for the link! That helps a lot.

I've got everything on the parts list now found with the excwption of the 470pf cap.

470pf = 0.00047mf correct?

It seems that the smallest cap value that I can find is 0.001mf?

Edit: Would this work for a 47pf cap, or would it be too big? http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=162

Edit #2: Or would this work better: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=969

rullywowr

#2. These ceramic ones are smaller than the film. Normally used for 1-1000pF.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

red.guitar

Thanks for all of the help guys!!

I've just placed my order, and should hopefully receive everything within the next two weeks.

Again, I just really want to thank you guys for the warm welcome to the community, and taking the time to give this new guy some very helpful advice!

I'll likely start a build thread when everything arrives!

Cheers!