News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Archtop jazz guitar compressor

Started by aeroemi, January 09, 2014, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeroemi

Hi all, I've been searching around a lot these days, looking for a sweet, gentle and warm compressor to be used with an archtop jazz guitar of a friend of mine...
The archtop guitars are (among all the jazz family ones) the more touch sensitive; so I'm searching for a nice compressor, which could warm up the sound of the guitar (giving a bit of sustain) in a clearly audible way, but without adding "color" such as distorsion (or too much compression)...
I tried something such as the simple orange squeezer, and I found it to be suitable for the "gentle-compression" and "warming up" features that I'm looking for...

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

raulduke

The Bearhug compressor by Midwayfair would do the trick I imagine.

You can buy PCB's at 1776 effects: http://1776effects.com/store/

It's a great compressor, and is a lot more flexible than the Orange Squeezer IMO.

micromegas

You can also check http://circuitsalad.com/. Some of his compressors have been commented here on the forum and you have projects for at least one of them in Oshpark.

This place came to my mind quick when I read the word "artchop" cause I remember seeing some demos there made with jazz guitar..
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

aeroemi

Thank you very much guys!! I'll check them out!

jkokura

Engineer's Thumb is what I'd choose myself.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pietro_moog

i'm sorry, i don't wanna break balls. but, did you try to use a tube amp? because 90% of jazz people uses SS amps,
and those don't sound good.

RobA

Are you looking specifically for DIY to build? If not, check out the EHX Black Finger. It's got a wide range of settings. It's tube based, so it does color the signal in a good tube sort of way. I don't have an archtop that I've tried it with, but I do use it with a Godin A6 Ultra that I've replaced the pickup with a Benedetto A-6 to do more jazz like things. It sounds really good to me. It's great into tube or SS amps.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

aeroemi

Actually, what i personally think, is that the big difference is in the hands...
But I'm not talking about hands, I'm just looking for a stomp box FX...
Obviously a tube amp will sound better than a SS...

aeroemi

Quote from: jkokura on January 09, 2014, 05:20:00 PM

Jacob

Is this a diy one? Where could get the schematics?

aeroemi

Quote from: RobA on January 09, 2014, 06:19:30 PM
Are you looking specifically for DIY to build? If not, check out the EHX Black Finger. It's got a wide range of settings. It's tube based, so it does color the signal in a good tube sort of way. I don't have an archtop that I've tried it with, but I do use it with a Godin A6 Ultra that I've replaced the pickup with a Benedetto A-6 to do more jazz like things. It sounds really good to me. It's great into tube or SS amps.

Well I'd prefer something diy... It would be a much more appreciated gift than a bought one... ;)
Is it available for diy? (I mean the ehx black finger...)

jkokura

Quote from: aeroemi on January 09, 2014, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: jkokura on January 09, 2014, 05:20:00 PM

Jacob

Is this a diy one? Where could get the schematics?

Depends. When you say DIY do you mean a project you can etch, or a vero project? I don't know about etching, but there are definitely vero versions out there.

If you'd prefer, jmkpcbs.com has the Engineer's Thumb as a manufactured PCB you can buy and build.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

Quote from: aeroemi on January 09, 2014, 06:47:34 PM
[...]

Well I'd prefer something diy... It would be a much more appreciated gift than a bought one... ;)
Is it available for diy? (I mean the ehx black finger...)

I haven't seen a DIY version and the project would be a bit of an undertaking. It's high voltage and needs a special transformer to get the voltage from 12VAC up to the 200 something volts that it uses.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).