News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for amp simulator pedals

Started by wretched, January 01, 2014, 09:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

Does anyone know of any good amp sim pedal clones? I think Joyo makes a few. I already have something for tweed.

jimilee

Like the chunk chunk? I believe bean also has an ac30 too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wretched

Yep like the Chunk Chunk. I am just putting that one together now hope to have it going after the weekend. As for the AC30, is that the "daytripper" ?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wretched

I see Tech 21 made a few. I ended up getting BlackBird and Plexi Drive PCB boards. I also have a Tweedy Bird and Professor Tweed in the works

Any one know of any others?

midwayfair

Quote from: wretched on January 03, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Almost everything by Runoff Groove is at least good. But for now, build the Azabache and Supreaux Deux for low-gain type stuff, and the Thor for higher gain. Thomas_H has PCBs for a bunch of ROG circuits

wretched

Thanks I grabbed all 3. This should keep me busy for a while.

wretched

First off GREAT demos, I looked these PCBs up on YouTube.  I am getting ready to place an order and wondering if a 20k Trimmer would be okay in place of the 25k trimmers the Thor and Azabache are asking for?

midwayfair

Quote from: wretched on January 08, 2014, 04:36:48 PM
First off GREAT demos, I looked these PCBs up on YouTube.  I am getting ready to place an order and wondering if a 20k Trimmer would be okay in place of the 25k trimmers the Thor and Azabache are asking for?

"Most likely."

FETs are like delicate little snowflakes, and the biasing can be precise in Runoff Groove builds. However, there is a bell curve to the expected drain values required to properly bias the FETs. Runoff Groove's design philosophy indicates that one should use a trim pot twice the size of the expected value when building with FETzer valves. If you're building with a J201, you can expect the drain value to be a touch over 10K -- which means a 20K will actually get pretty close right in the dead center, but some super incredible outlier could require a larger trim pot. In other words, 20K is just fine for the Azabache for sure, but I thought you'd like to know the why of it. :)

I can't speak regarding the Thor, I haven't built that one, only breadboarded it. Marshalls just aren't my thing.

wretched

a little off topic, but could I use a trim pot in place of a resistor on a board. I have read that I could just use the middle and one ends as a lead. I only ask because I have to Bias some j201's for some other builds that I have been putting off. If this would work I could build the circuit and then use the trim pot to find the resistor I need.

midwayfair

Quote from: wretched on January 08, 2014, 05:26:35 PM
a little off topic, but could I use a trim pot in place of a resistor on a board. I have read that I could just use the middle and one ends as a lead. I only ask because I have to Bias some j201's for some other builds that I have been putting off. If this would work I could build the circuit and then use the trim pot to find the resistor I need.

Yes, of course. But most builds with FETs use trimpots unless the biasing isn't critical.

wretched

They are a couple from Chi Boy The tweedy and Black Bird from the looks of them they are great, but I have to sort through the j201s I picked up from SmallBear.

aeroemi

Quote from: midwayfair on January 03, 2014, 07:45:06 PM

Almost everything by Runoff Groove is at least good. But for now, build the Azabache and Supreaux Deux for low-gain type stuff, and the Thor for higher gain. Thomas_H has PCBs for a bunch of ROG circuits

... Cool... Where could i get the Thor schematic?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

kothoma

Quote from: aeroemi on January 09, 2014, 08:29:20 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 03, 2014, 07:45:06 PM

... Cool... Where could i get the Thor schematic?

google
http://www.runoffgroove.com/thor.html
(and also build instructions for http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/rog-thor-modified-v1-2-pcb/ )