News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smooth Getaway aka Madbean's Egghead

Started by ncdb07, January 06, 2014, 12:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncdb07

I got this at Christmas time last year and only now got around to completing it. This is my second time using Envirotex. Sounds great! Its a really smooth overdrive, reminds me of a Tube Screamer without the loss of bass and the mid hump.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

hoodoo

Very smooth mate  ;) great build. Enviro is the way to go IMO, and i've got to agree how good the egghead sounds, i love mine .

billstein

That looks great. Did you do the Envirotex only on the top or on the sides too?

ncdb07

Thanks guys! I did the Envirotex only on the top, in fact if you look closely at the top of the enclosure near the right knob you will see the 2 places I messed up not fully stretching the epoxy to the edge. Last time I had it too thick. It's a learning process. Still way easier than rattle can clear coats and much better results.

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

pickdropper

Looks great, Daniel.

I too prefer putting the envirotex only on the top.  I tried a full pour the other day (including sides) and didn't care for it at all.  I'll go back to my old method.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

That looks clean. I love the font you used for the text. I have yet to try the Envirotex, one day.

m-Kresol

That turned out really great. Does anyone know where/how to get some Envirotex in central Europe (Germany, Austria, or even UK)? I wanted to test it out on my next projects
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Haberdasher

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 06, 2014, 07:44:37 PM
That turned out really great. Does anyone know where/how to get some Envirotex in central Europe (Germany, Austria, or even UK)? I wanted to test it out on my next projects
it doesn't have to be the envirotex brand.  i'm sure there is an equivalent you can find in your area.  it can probably be found in home improvement stores (wood-finishing section?) and will be labeled as a 'super-gloss 2-part epoxy pour' or something similar.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

ncdb07

Also may try ebay?

I found it at Lowes Hardware, and Home Depot as Super Glaze or something or other. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby. almost any hobby, or wood supply store or home improvement store should carry something similar it seems to be marketed as a bar protector or glaze.

ncdb07
Daniel

billstein

I want to try this. Any tips on just pouring on the top? Do you just start in the middle and pour it on until it reaches the edge? Seems like it would be really easy to have it go over the side.

rullywowr

Bill, that looks great!  Very clean and nicely done.

I too just jumped on the Envirotex wagon and really like its ease of use and great results.  I've only done two projects with it so far but it is now my "go to" for clear coat.  I mix up a small amount (to the first line in a small plastic disposable cup).  Then I carefully poured the stuff on the top and spread it with a Popsicle stick (or tongued depressor) right to the edge.  The surface tension will keep it from flowing down the side as long as you are careful.  Keep a lint-free rag handy and some isopropyl alcohol to wipe the sides if you screw up.  Once it sets in about 20 minutes then you can stop babysitting it and set it down to dry.  If a little bit gets on the sides you can carefully use a hobby knife to peel it off once it dries about 8 hours.

I get the sticks and the cups at the dollar store.  I figure one 32oz package of envirotex has at least enough to do 50+ enclosure tops.  No smell, no orange peel, no cursing at a stupid rattle can.

Also it does pay to read the instructions...as I found out the hard way...their recommendation to put a box or container over it while it is drying is spot on.  A little piece of dust or lint found its way into an otherwise flawless finish..no big deal but a learning experience.  Good stuff.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ncdb07

Quote from: billstein on January 06, 2014, 10:27:28 PM
I want to try this. Any tips on just pouring on the top? Do you just start in the middle and pour it on until it reaches the edge? Seems like it would be really easy to have it go over the side.

The epoxy is self leveling. As long as you keep the decal cut back about an 1/8th of an inch or so  all the way around it creates a shelf once the epoxy drops it tries to level itself and in my experience ( only done this twice ) it sort of creates a tapered edge. I start in the middle, work my out. I get close to the edges then go back and level out the epoxy and gently drag it to the edge with an acid brush while being careful not to go over.
ncdb07
Daniel

m-Kresol

Quote from: billstein on January 06, 2014, 10:27:28 PM

I found this handy photo-story of applying envirotex to pedal surfaces  by juansolo. As his pedals are pure genius, I suppose this step-by-step guide will be perfect to start.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials