News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Spreadin' the word for some friends -- Katie Bowers Band recording

Started by midwayfair, January 02, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

My friends played at the Takoma Park Folk Festival this year, which is actually kind of a big deal in the folk scene in our little corner of the world. They ended up with a board recording of the concert. They started off with like 10 people in seats and by the end of their set every seat was filled and there were a ton of people standing on the lawn.

"There's a Light" is particularly magical. It also has Katie singing lead on one of Joe Scala's best songs, Grounded, which I also cover. (His FAWM recording of that song friggin amazing.)

http://katieandjoe.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-takoma-park-folk-festival

It's a free download if you want to pay nothin'.

Also, the drummer and third vocal on this, Mosno, is worth checking out for his own stuff.

haveyouseenhim

I saw some of her stuff on youtube a while back. Her voice gets me all goosebumpy.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

jubal81

That's some really impressive stuff. The talent is getting killed by the recording quality, though. Epic voice over rink-dink sounds. Really kills it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on January 02, 2014, 04:53:59 PM
That's some really impressive stuff. The talent is getting killed by the recording quality, though. Epic voice over rink-dink sounds. Really kills it.

Yeah, it was just a board recording.

I'm seriously *this* close to bankrolling a trip to Beat Babies Studios for them.

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on January 02, 2014, 05:16:05 PM

Yeah, it was just a board recording.

I'm seriously *this* close to bankrolling a trip to Beat Babies Studios for them.

There's a great chance it could be something special. I generally love the simple, stripped-down vibe, but when I listened to this I just kept imagining how great this would sound with a really BIG, lush, layered track.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

haveyouseenhim

I was thinking the same thing. The voice is amazing, but the guitar is way too thin.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms