News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zener Diodes Voltage Drop

Started by claytushaywood, December 20, 2013, 04:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I measured the forward voltage drop on some 1n4729 3.6v zener diodes I got from tayda.  I'm getting between .5v and .75v and I found a data sheet that says the forward voltage drop should be 1.2v for these.

I'm building a clone of the death by audio robot (uses ht8950 chip) should I try to get some that measure 1.2v forward drop or does it really matter?

thanks!

chromesphere

Ill have a go at this question before the more knowledgeable folk chime in.  The 1n4728 is a silicon diode.  Generally silicon diodes have a 0.6v drop when measured with a multimeter.  Germanium diodes are around 0.3v, and led's are anywhere 1v+.  I think perhaps the datasheet has different conditions when testing the diode then what we do (a multimeter).  The datasheet says "IF = 200ma" when testing the forward voltage drop and I would doubt that would be the same current the diode tester on your multimeter would be using to measure Vf.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jubal81

Best thing to do is tack solder a couple wires to the PCB and stick them in a breadboard. Try them out - try out others. That way you're not second guessing your self later on.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

claytushaywood

so measuring the forward voltage drop is not gonna give you the voltage of a zener diode.  the 1n4729 is labeled as a 3.6v zener diode when I do a google search- the circuit calls for a 3.6v zener diode.  do I really need to run wires to a breadboard to see if my 1n4729's are dropping the correct voltage?

jubal81

Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were asking about using them as clipping diodes. If it's the right part No., then it's fine for that application.

If you want to test it, put a small resistor between 9v and the cathode, with the anode to ground and measure the DC voltage difference cathode to anode. 
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair