News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ernie Ball Volume VP JR. makes cracleing noise!

Started by PaxWorks, June 05, 2010, 06:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxWorks

My Ernie Ball Volume VP JR. makes a crackling noise whenever I move it with my foot. Anybody got an idea of what I should do? I'm a total noob, so I don't know what to do.

Haberdasher

Sounds like you need to clean the pot out.  Get some contact cleaner of some type (deOxit is probably the best) and use the red straw to blast inside the pot.  Move the control of the pot back and forth, all the way up and down a few times.  Blast again, work it again.  That should do it.  You probably wont have to remove the pot from the pedal to do this, but I dunno.  I know contact cleaner can harm paint jobs & mar certain finishes, so you may need to protect the rest of the pedal.  Just use your own best judgment...

These vids are for pots in a guitar and a stereo, but you'll get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzkwI9ysy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukA8Qy-M4fY&feature=related

edit: also try to keep the spray away from the electronics and any plastics inside the pedal.  You don't want to give yourself extra problems.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

PaxWorks

Thanks for the info-It's great having this forum to learn more and more!

Haberdasher

no problem.  you might also want to google how to clean a pot on an ernie ball jr.
I know you don't want to use much spray.  Just a quick burst will probably do it.  Like "psht," and that 's it.
Also blow it out with compressed air afterwards to try to get all the spray and dirt out.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

I replaced the pot and hardwired mine (eliminating the board) and it still crackles when it is in the full heel position and I move it, the rest of the "throw" is smooth and quiet, I can't understand why
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mudfinger

All the jack contacts are clean? sometimes oxidation will give off a funky sound, especially when the SNR is real low.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

This is an old post, but a couple months ago I set out to find the crackle in my EB jr...maybe this will help the OP or someone else.

One of the volume pot lugs to was loose.  (not the wire, the actual lug)  So it would be ok until you went to move the pedal.  Then it would crackle for split second "on impact".  I pinched the lug where it secures to brown fiberboard area and the problem was solved.  I've seen this now on more than one EB volume pot too, causing the same problem...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer