News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The GreaseGun

Started by gordo, December 12, 2013, 05:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

For anyone that hasn't built up their GreaseGun board...don't think that because this was "charity" stuff the board doesn't rip.  It does.  No surprise.  I love this thing.  It's very true to Bean's demo (although I think he used a fairly bright sounding guitar and amp setup).  This is one of those "sleeper" builds that can be used in a ton of different ways.  For me, I tend to use my Afterlife into a Vox Night Train set relatively clean but with the volume 2/3 of the way up (goes for a gutsy AC15/30 clean sound) to where the Afterlife doesn't wreck my volume settings on any guitar but keeps a nice tab on levels.  The GreaseGun takes those polite settings and gets a bit nasty without introducing too much low end grunt or spikey highs.  I'm using it at about wide open volume with the gain set to about 3/4 and tone at anywhere from 2/3rds up to wide open.  This will be one of your "secret weapons".  I don't think I can do better than Bean at a demo but will do a few ">clean" and ">overdrive" examples to stir it up a bit.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GermanCdn

Agreed, built mine up last night, still toying around with what transistor to use in Q2, but it sounds really slick.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

Just finished mine tonight also and I have been playing it for the last hour. Really fun pedal.

culturejam

I have an etched board all built up, but not boxed. I need to get on that.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

I agree; It def needs a tube amp to show it's full potential. I tried through my solid state and it just wasn't there. Then I rocked through my fender blues deluxe and it sounded awesome.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Droogie

I had pop'd the board last weekend and finally added pots, etc. last night. I really like what I'm hearing so far. Couldn't really let the dogs out volume-wise since it was on the late side so I'll have to wait to drive some tubular ampage this weekend. I had the trannies in the build doc  so I used those. Any other options that might be worth exploring?
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric