News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pignose 7-100 Sound

Started by wretched, December 09, 2013, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

If I were to try and get a Pignose 7-100 sound from a pedal what Pedal should I try to build?

I am still waiting on my Stomp Switches to get my Bacon Bits up and running and Im sure this will be close.

If you have never heard a Pignose, It starts out clean and then at 50% volume it gets some real gritty sounds. It becomes a balance between your master amp volume and the guitar volume to find that sweet spot.

lars

You don't have to build one! Apparently for about $60 Pignose already makes a stompbox version of the 7-100:  http://www.pignoseamps.com/?disp=master&subcat=pedals

wretched

I know I dont HAVE to build one, But I would like to. Something I can throw a little bit of my own mojo into.

midwayfair

Looking at the schematic, I suspect transistor distortion is involved -- there are two, one of which serves as (I guess) a sort of phase inverter. Otherwise it's just cascaded transistors. I'd look into just copying the schematic up to Q3 (before the speaker transformer) with one of the small common transformers, even the cheap ones from Radio Shack.

wretched

Can I post the schematic here?

I am okay with the "Paint by Numbers" fabricated boards, but I don't know if I could build something. I guess I am just looking for a board that is close to this that I can socket and then toy around on.

lars has posed a link to the actual "piggy in a box" I am going for.

lars

I totally understand wanting to throw your own mojo into the project. That's the whole reason we build pedals, especially if you can get NOS parts. I guess my point is that you'll probably find the amount of time needed to reverse-engineer the schematic, and the cost in buying parts and building it, will be a lot more than $60. With the production pedal, for $60 you are certain to get the exact sound you're looking for, and it's a real Pignose to boot.
The other option would be to pull the PCB from a 7-100, since they're battery-powered anyway, and stuff it into a stompbox enclosure. Use the pre-amp out jack as your output to go into another amp. You can pick up a used  7-100 on ebay for about $45 shipped, very reasonable, and this might sound even better than the production pedal.

wretched

Yeah I understand the cost issues and having the real piggy would be nice,  but I am just looking for a premade board that sounds similar. Something to build for the hell of it. I doubt I will try and build one from Scratch Heck I have a 7-100 and don't really use it now anyway. I have a LOT of spare parts so I will not buy anything additional except the board and maybe an enclosure.

As for the Mojo, I am not talking about NOS parts. Just trying different tings to get a good sound