News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can I accomplish this with a switched jack?

Started by midwayfair, December 07, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I need a switch that severs a connection when nothing's plugged into a jack but does not involve a connection to ground.

Input 1 > Buffer1 > etc.
                 |
                 |______
                            \
                           |
Input 2 > Buffer2 > Q2

I figure I can use an H11F1, and make the switched jack connect the LED to ground when nothing is plugged in, but I'd like to find something cheaper and/or easier.

Thomas_H

There should be jacks that have more switching options than the regular ones we use.

You need a 1/4 jack that features an additional default open switch.
What does it switch when plugged in?

EDIT: found this http://www.mroelectronics.com/mro/product.php?id_product=3600
DIY-PCBs and projects:

midwayfair

Quote from: Thomas_H on December 07, 2013, 10:03:09 PM
What does it switch when plugged in?[/url]

When it's not plugged in, it connects the buffered out from Input 1 to the input of Q2. When it's plugged in, it goes to input 2 (and the buffer 1 > Q2 connection is severed).

I think the one you linked to still switches something to ground. I just bought a host of H11F1s and this is a paid project, so I think I'll just have to suck it up and use a $2 part if he wants it. It's almost too cool of a feature not to include anyway.

Thomas_H

The triangles in the switching schematic indicate mechanical switch action. Its not switching to ground :)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

midwayfair

Quote from: Thomas_H on December 07, 2013, 10:41:46 PM
The triangles in the switching schematic indicate mechanical switch action. Its not switching to ground :)

Ah. It's hard to tell from the picture; it looked like it was indicating that they were switched to the sleeve or tip respectively.