News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

serendipty

Started by cjkbug, June 09, 2011, 02:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

serendipity build with clickless relay bypass. used bs170's and an ad712 opamp. sounds nice. this is the 3rd zen clone I've built and while they have the same flavor they all seem to have slightly less gain available. this doesn't bother me as I never run this pedal full on. this is one of my favorite od's.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

night-B

Man! All your builds are awesome but this one is my favorite  ;)
How did you made the finish? Decal over a glitter paint?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: night-B on June 09, 2011, 03:20:41 PM
Man! All your builds are awesome but this one is my favorite  ;)
How did you made the finish? Decal over a glitter paint?

In the first photo it looks blue and in the second its purple!  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

thanks for the compliments. I finally got a photobucket account so you'll be seeing a lot more from me. I'm only trying to put out a couple at a time so I don't flood this section too much. but I've got a lot of pretty cool builds to show.

the responses have been very encouraging, so thank you everybody. this forum is very inspiring.

I painted the enclosure with black lacquer. sanded the face with my table sander. cleared it with lacquer to give a glossy base for the decal to bond with. then I sprayed some blue/purple interference paint over it. and cleared again, several thin coats. wet sand up to 2000 grit, buff and polish.

night-B

One last question... I haven't found any interference paint in the crafts store around me, neither on a site shipping to france, where do you find'em? Do you think I can use some interference inkpads instead of acrylics?

cjkbug

a good brand is golden acrylics. that's what I use sometimes.in the jar it's a cream colored paste that I dilute with either water, or rubbing alcohol if I want it to dry faster, and spray with an airbrush. It dries clear. I used a shitload of it  in different colores to sponge paint the walls at my tattoo shop. it shows up more over black and other dark colors but works cool with anything. The lighter colored bases just have a more subtle effect. I use another brand in a spraycan whos name escapes me at the moment. It's quite expensive. for a 16 once jar of golden is about $18 IIRC. and the spray is about $25/can. try www.dickblick.com it's an art supply dealer I use for my shop. they have the goldens. I don't know about shipping as some supplies can only be shipped via ground. can't recall If this stuff falls under that catagory.

night-B

The only Golden I found on eBay was this deal :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Golden-HVYBODY-Acrylic-32-oz-Interference-red-fine-/390159384711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad74fc087
110$ for 32oz  that's really expensive.
Thanks for all these informations  ;) this is such an interesting paint!

cjkbug

that's a ripoff you can find it much cheaper than that. you can get it in 2 oz tubes as well it just needs to be diluted more. a little goes a long way. you'd never use 32 oz's if you used it on every pedal you built for the rest of your life.

night-B

Thanks for everything!
Looks like you've a heavily loaded workbench. I'm thinking of picking an airbrush too, but some people told me it just takes too much time of practicing and experimenting to master the thing...

cjkbug

it takes a while to get the hang of it. I used to paint t-shirts and jackets and bike tanks and stuff. there is definitely a big startup cost and learning curve. but for pedal finishing you could get by with an inexpensive(relatively) single action airbrush.and just use acrylics and water to keep the fumes down. if you already have a decent compressor your more than halfway there.

night-B

I know it's not a dedicated thread but can you give me an advice on a good brand of air brush to start with? I mean reliable and one I don't have to sell a kidney to get the money...

cjkbug

A Pasche model h is a good single action gun at a good price. You could probably find one as a starter kit at craft stores. A Badger 150 is another option. as well as a Badger creshendo is a tough little double action that will give you more options and the ability to spray fairly thick paint without clogging. That one comes in a kit for around $125 I beleive.

night-B

Thanks again! I'll take a look a them  ;D