News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii Fuzz current?

Started by TurboT8er, November 20, 2013, 03:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboT8er

I just finished my zombii fuzz build this past weekend, and can't find any info on current rating for a power adapter. I checked it with a multimeter with the battery hooked up, and it's reading nearly 3 amps... I figured there's no way that could be right. But when I went to remove the battery, it was very warm. That's when I determined something must be drawing excessive current somewhere.

I double checked all the obvious connections, checked resistance between positive and negative, and it was in the hundreds of kOhms range. The pedal works fine as far as I can tell. Is any of this normal? Surely one component wouldn't cause that much current draw.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TurboT8er

Yeah, that's what I read somewhere else... multimeter's acting weird. It has a blown fuse in the mA/uA side. I'll have to try another tomorrow.

alanp

Measure the resistance while not working, and V while turned on, across 2 and 3 of Stab. V=IR, P=IV. I=V/R, so you can get the current the circuit draws (minus the LED, work across R7 for that). From that, multiply it by the voltage across 2 and 3 to get the power drawn by the main circuit. P = I^2 / R.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TurboT8er

Quote from: alanp on November 20, 2013, 06:00:02 AM
Measure the resistance while not working, and V while turned on, across 2 and 3 of Stab. V=IR, P=IV. I=V/R, so you can get the current the circuit draws (minus the LED, work across R7 for that). From that, multiply it by the voltage across 2 and 3 to get the power drawn by the main circuit. P = I^2 / R.

What do you mean by "across 2 and 3 of Stab"? Wouldn't I measure R from the board input to the board output? And why do I need to know power?

TurboT8er

And I don't want to get into a multimeter discussion, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what's up with mine. I have a Fluke 87v and the 440mA (low current) fuse is blown. However, it should still measure current on the Amps (high current) setting as a decimal, but I keep getting 0.00. When I measure it across the battery, it first shows 2-3 amps, then slowly and continuously drops.