News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MXR style overdrive

Started by jimilee, November 15, 2013, 04:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

My guitar player tonight asked me to build an MXR style overdrive, what should I build?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

The newer MXR/CAE mc402 would be my choice. FSB has some schematics.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GermanCdn

The zakk wylde/gtr od combo, virtually the same circuit, vero's on tagboard.  Sounds killer.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

What music style? What amp? Which pickups?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Quote from: RobA on November 15, 2013, 06:26:07 AM
What music style? What amp? Which pickups?
practicing at home and not having to lug a pedal to an from rehearsal style through a marshal jcm with a 57 les Paul and a custom built strat, dunno what pickups.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

Marshall + Les Paul ==> Distortion+

Seriously, simple and classic. Use the 1N270 diodes.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Bret608

I used 1n270s in mine as well. I did two in series on one side for an asymmetrical setup. CJ and Rej's Plus-Dist board. It's a bit trebly with my all-Fender setup, but if I back off just a hair from max gain I get a really useable crunch. I'm pretty sure if your guitarist asked for an MXR-style drive, he meant the Distortion Plus. It would rip with an LP and Marshall.

Kinki fuzz

jimilee

Yeah I think the d+ is what I will go with

RobA

When I did mine, I threw together an etchable layout that I updated a bit to use a dual op amp so I could move to using a 4558D. I used the open op amp to buffer the Vref. It works well and I think it's a tiny bit of an improvement. I did go with the standard two diode clipping section though. I happen to have an old 70's Distortion+ and the sound is pretty much the same.