News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baby Boards- Low Profile Neutrik Jacks

Started by claytushaywood, November 15, 2013, 06:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I see that mouser has two types of the low profile neutrik jacks recommended in the baby board build guide.  I didnt notice previously but now they have a chassis grounded version.  Is there any advantage to these?  dont pots make ground connections to the chassis anyways?

Stomptown

If you are talking about the closed frame plastic jacks they do not ground the enclosure. I've never seen the "chassis grounded version but it sound like the would be a better option if they ground the sleeve to the enclosure. 

croquet hoop

Quote from: Stomptown on November 15, 2013, 06:43:02 AMIf you are talking about the closed frame plastic jacks they do not ground the enclosure.

Some ("-1" versions) are meant to. They have a metal tab that contacts the enclosure. At least that's what their product guide states (p.17 of the pdf).

http://www.neutrik.us/zoolu-website/media/download/209/Product+Guide+2013%2C+03+Plugs%2BJacks

edit: my bad, I must have stopped reading at "neutrik jacks". There are actually two kinds of jacks shown in the baby board guide, Neutrik (which are not used) and even lower-profile ones (from smallbear), which indeed do not ground to the enclosure.

rullywowr

Quote from: claytushaywood on November 15, 2013, 06:03:32 AM
I see that mouser has two types of the low profile neutrik jacks recommended in the baby board build guide.  I didnt notice previously but now they have a chassis grounded version.  Is there any advantage to these?  dont pots make ground connections to the chassis anyways?

The chassis-grounded version would be an advantage in being that you wouldn't have to wire up a GND wire to them, however it would be an unfortunate DISADVANTAGE if one of those suckers came loose during a show and your effect stopped working.  I always wire up a separate GND lead to each jack to avoid this issue regardless. 

To answer your other question about pots grounding to the enclosure... Pots do make contact with the enclosure but the metal housing of the pot is isolated from the three lugs.  Think about it, the pot has no idea which of your three connections should be tied to GND.  Sometimes, none are tied to ground depending on how it is implemented in your schematic (mixing pot, etc).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!