News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wah buffer out and led question

Started by pietro_moog, November 02, 2013, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

hi guys. i have an old Weener Wah mk1 pcb and i am building it. i was wondering: do i need to make the buffer-out
by-passable? i understand a buffer is good for fuzz faces, tone benders, and others. but there is any real sonic advantages in having the buffer removed? is it gonna sound better with my TS, my BSIAB, and my Crunch Box, without the buffer?

btw, what the best place for a led in a way shell?

thanks guys

Stomptown

My understanding is that the buffer was added to classic wah circuits due to tone sucking. If you wire true bypass the tone sucking will not be an issue so the buffer is unnecessary. There are many opinions though and IMO it is probably a good idea to have a buffer in your chain. If you have a good buffer then I would leave it out...

As far as the led goes, it kind if depends on the enclosure. For the cry baby enclosure it works well on the side it the top (centered above of the foot switch). If you mount on the side and control the wah with your right foot mount it on the left side and vise versa...

DutchMF

I'll have to get back to you on the buffer part, because I still have to finish my Weener 1, but I adapted the normal 9V input on a crybaby shell to accept a 5mm LED bezel, and drilled a new 9V input hole in the top right corner. This way it fit my playing position/pedalboard setup better.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

snz728

I'm in the process or modding a crybaby gcb 95 for someone and I've read that you need a buffer after the circuit and before your fuzz face to avoid oscillation.  I'm getting oscillation when I test them together but it goes away if I turn down the fuzz knob or the fuzz input resistor pot knob.  I was thinking of adding a foxrox wah retro fit buffer.