News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DC jack on the bottom up or on the side of the enclosure?

Started by Gledison, November 05, 2013, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey!
somehow I always have the feeling that the DC jack should be at the bottom up of the enclosure. It seems that helps to organize the cables logistics on a pedalboard.
Well, I don't have a pedalborad yet and see loads of projects having the DC jack on the side of the enclosures. I know that sometimes is for better fitting reasons.
What is your preference? it makes real difference to organize the cables if is on the top?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

croquet hoop

For me it does not makes much difference to organize the cables on the pedal board; it can make a big difference inside the pedal, though. So I decide on the jack location mainly depending on what will be more practical regarding internal wiring.

For instance, when you use a PCB with 9V/gnd pads on top of the PCB, having a DC jack on the top of the enclosure will avoid running wires across it. When you use a 3PDT breakout board, having the DC jack next to the footswitch may be more convenient.

Vallhagen

Topmounted jacks are definately preferred for pedal board/floor organizing reasons. Without doubt.

However, my standard procedure includes side-mounted jacks. Interior organization convenience is the main reason for that, but it sure is some kind of compromise.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

selfdestroyer

I read an article about why DC jacks were on the side of enclosures and I think it was MXR that said it was to keep the jack from pulling out by accident when steping on the pedal. Makes sense to me. When stepping on a pedal it tends to pull twords you on the floor and it can pull out your power source. But... If it's stuck to a pedal board then it ain't going anywhere. Top mounted jacks do look so clean on a pedal board.

billstein

Quote from: croquet hoop on November 05, 2013, 08:33:37 PM
For me it does not makes much difference to organize the cables on the pedal board; it can make a big difference inside the pedal, though. So I decide on the jack location mainly depending on what will be more practical regarding internal wiring.

For instance, when you use a PCB with 9V/gnd pads on top of the PCB, having a DC jack on the top of the enclosure will avoid running wires across it. When you use a 3PDT breakout board, having the DC jack next to the footswitch may be more convenient.

This got me thinking about how I've routed some wires In the past. I've run the 9v wire under the board. Will that end up causing problems?

croquet hoop

Regarding possible interference, you mean? I am not an expert, but with the low voltages/intensities involved in most pedals, I doubt it could cause any problem.

rullywowr

I tend to agree, and when laying out my own PCBs I try to put pads for 9v/gnd at both the top and bottom of the board. This way you have options even though it's a little more work initially.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!