News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

multilayer ceramics vs others question

Started by hoodoo, October 31, 2013, 04:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all Matt here, just picked up a pile of 100nf multilayer ceramics for cheap. I've read the differing opinions on different capacitors/sound etc, but would like to hear opinions from you lot. I grabbed them knowing that this is a common value that we use alot, was thinking, bigmuff, while drinking and ebaying the other night  ;) thanks, Matt.

rullywowr

100nF is a very popular capacitor, often used for power supply filtering and for EQ circuits.  Most DIY pedal builders will tell you that Film sounds better than ceramic, however its really up to you.  It would be wise to use film in the audio path, and if not in the audio path then you can use ceramic.

Some classic pedals use ceramic all over the place (DS1, Tube Screamer), so its really a personal decision but the consensus is that film is worth the extra cost and size.

100nF MLCC I buy by the bagful to use in my microcontroller circuits to filter the power, but when building pedals I will most always pony up and use a 100nF film box cap.  They MLCC are pretty tiny and look way better than the old disc ceramic, but accomplish the same end result.

If you do use the 100nF MLCC, make sure they can withstand the voltages you are using otherwise you may "let the white smoke out."

Hope this helps.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

croquet hoop

One thing to note is that there are different kinds of MLCC caps. The best are C0G (the most stable, I think), which are not readily available for higher values (>220nF). For those, you'll want X7R or X5R caps. If you can find a datasheet for the caps you got, you'll know what you have on hand. If not, you can build something with them and see for yourself if you can hear a difference with the same build made with film caps, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of builds where those caps will be useful.

hoodoo

Thanks for the advice, they're 63v, so no white smoke hopefully ;) All the best, Matt.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on October 31, 2013, 03:30:47 PM
One thing to note is that there are different kinds of MLCC caps. The best are C0G (the most stable, I think), which are not readily available for higher values (>220nF). For those, you'll want X7R or X5R caps. If you can find a datasheet for the caps you got, you'll know what you have on hand. If not, you can build something with them and see for yourself if you can hear a difference with the same build made with film caps, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of builds where those caps will be useful.

Temperature and voltage coefficient can be an important consideration as you get close to the rated voltage or insignificant, depending on the situation.  C0G/NP0 don't suffer de-rating as they get close to their rated voltage, but other MLCC caps do.  X5/X7 are usually decent.  Y5V are generally not very good and I would generally avoid those for most situations.

I've posted this before, but it's good reading.  It's worth going through:

http://www.johansondielectrics.com/technical-notes/product-training/basics-of-ceramic-chip-capacitors.html#.UnMsZBCwV3E
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper