News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar: more, tighter gain?

Started by ben_allison, June 27, 2012, 03:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_allison

I love my uproar, but want to squeeze out more gain. But, once the gain knob gets past noon, things mush out, so I can't quite get into metal territory.

Any mod ideas?

nimbleswitch

I just finished mine last night - not boxed yet - it sound incredible.  :o No mush problems - I can full-gain it with a lot of "clarity" - a weird word to use to describe a distortion box.

There are many mixed reports here, some too "dark," some with anemic tone controls. It seems to all come down to the cap value selection, which makes a successful build a bit of a crapshoot without an agreed standard. We should all share our cap values and impressions in Uproar threads. And what mods we did or didn't try.

Did you make sure to change C9 to 10nF? That seems to be the most crucial modification.

I'll post my cap values. I've still got a presence switch issue to deal with; it doesn't do diddly. But it sounds so freekin perfect without it, I'd just as soon tape up the switch and stuff it in the enclosure never to be switched again.

I'm really excited about this build - it sounds like a cranked amp at low volumes, and sweet at all settings.
I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other one is waving a dildo.

ben_allison

njkke

nimbleswitch, can you post your cap values? I finished an Uproar that sounds too dark

ben_allison

Bumpin dis. Still curious if there's a way to tighten it up a bit, and make it a bit smoother.

I think one big problem people are having with the tone knob is they're not using a REVERSE log pot.

ben_allison

Any ideas? I just want to tame a bit of the "gristle." Make it a bit tighter, a bit more smooth/searing.

J0K3RX

Quote from: ben_allison on November 03, 2013, 04:15:19 PM
Any ideas? I just want to tame a bit of the "gristle." Make it a bit tighter, a bit more smooth/searing.

What board layout did you use? Schematic? The reason I ask is because the Uproar is or was incorrect. The Riot pedal has since been traced again and corrections were made but, I don't think the MB layouts or schematics were ever corrected?

I posted a link to the corrected schematic in this thread.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7566.msg69748#msg69748

It's towards the bottom of this page at the FSB forum..
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10133&start=240

ben_allison

ben_allison

Mods done! Sounds way better. Also, the tone knob actually does something now!

I owe you a beer!