News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rainy Day Distortion (Stone Grey) build

Started by stevewire, October 25, 2013, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

I haven't built much in the range of high gain.  Mostly for the reasons that I probably won't have a lot of use for them and I can't imagine most of them doing well with my AC30 and my preferred choice of P90s.  This is the Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion circuit. This one does not sound like a Dual Rectifier and I chose to build this circuit because it was described as retaining note clarity while playing chords.  I feel like it sounds big, tight and modern.  Quite different sounding than my Dyna Red circuit that I built.  The DR seems a lot more Marshall voiced.  I had modded my DR build by thinning out the lows a bit so it worked more as a stinging lead sound.  I swear my DR has more gain than the Rainy Day, but it DR seems voiced more vintage sounding.   If I were to use the Rainy Day often, I would probably use it as a rhythm pedal and switch to the DR for leads. 

I felt that it sounded more authentic through my Fender Hot Rod DeVille and my AC50 head through Marshall 4x12 cab.  I'd maybe say slightly better through the Fender, but the closed back cabinet seemed to fair better for the tightness of the low end.  The ohmage of the cabinet isn't correct for the Fender, but maybe a good combination for the pedal could be 6L6 tubes and a closed back 4x12.  Through my AC30 it seemed like it didn't have enough low end and that there was too much saggieness to do the pedal justice.  Although through the AC30 there were some nice lower gain options.

soldersqueeze

Now that's pretty! Not heard much about this circuit, but the way you describe it makes me want to check it out.
Nice, clean build too.

stevewire

Thanks soldersqueeze,
This is the Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion circuit.  Haberdasher etched the board for me and the build layout is in the Extra Projects section.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2880.0