News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Repair woes...

Started by Clayford, October 28, 2013, 01:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

Quote from: brejna on October 28, 2013, 07:47:29 PM
Hey Clayford I can imagine your anger about that situation...
I've done one repair 2 days ago and the pedal is still with me, it is Ibanez/Maxon AD100 .
And I really don't know how much would I ask for repair..
What do you guys think?  :-\

Entirely subjective to everything. Parts and supplies cost - Time is money - money is time. And since you've not negotiated a price prior, you have to be careful or you could have a very non-plussed person on your hands.   
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

brejna

I really didn't spend to much parts, just 2 transistors and bit of solder.. but it took about 3 hours to fix it, since it worked only in bypass.. One thing that could be added is fact that this delay is rare, but also this guy is super cool so I really don't want to take to much :)

LaceSensor

Someone I don't know from Harry messaged me on twitter to fix his DOA nos Russian small stone, and a broken from stepping on jacks Russian muff,

The muff I replaced the jacks with quality metal parts and checked the rest of it out.
The stone had many cracked solder joints and traces on the board likely from stresses caused by the jacks with no relief.

I charged him £15 for both, the work took around 45 mins I suppose.
I did it more for the challenge of troubleshooting and fixing, and cos I had some spare evenings that week. I build occasionally but don't offer a repair service...

He was a bit aloof and treated me like a commodity. I would have changed the jacks on the stone had he been a nicer character. I'll save that for next time....

I think anyone else I'll charge £20 bench and the £20 an hour plus parts.
As said people just don't give a shit.
In the end he was very happy and was pleasantly suprised by what I charged him. That's a good indication it was too little, IMHO.

Govmnt_Lacky

One problem that one might run into is the cost vs. cost problem...

What I mean is that some people in need of a repair might see it as a better option to go buy a new $99 pedal instead of paying $70 to have it fixed!

Same problems with any number of repair services. TVs come to mind. Often it is a little more or CHEAPER to buy a new TV instead of having it fixed.

Food for thought....

gordo

Clayford here's a nice story that will put a good spin on this disaster.  I've done all the repair work for the church network that I play in and I've never charged anyone anything.  It's just my thing.  Amps, guitars, pedals, and I've built a bunch of pedals and given them away.  It's worth it just to see players faces light up when their stuff is fixed and as good or better than new.

It's cost me some money but I'm not suffering and it's a nice way to give back to the folks that have helped me.

One of the guys showed up on my doorstep a number of months back with a guitar case.  I assumed it was a repair of some sort but instead he said "I thought of you when I saw this, so I got it for you".  It was a Hamer 25th Anniversary.  It's about the size of a Les Paul but hollow with a top F-hole.  Factory stock with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seth Lover in the neck.  I was blown away.  I've never played any other guitar that sounds quite like this one and the build quality is just sick.  I was so mesmerized by this little beast that I contacted Jol Danzig, who was the driving force behind Hamer and was still with the company at the time the guitar was made, and he explained that it cost the company money to produce the guitars due to the fact that the bean counters hadn't factored in how much work it takes to make a guitar with NO binding.  All the edges have to be perfect in order to look good under the wine red finish (I believe they may have been made in natural as well).

So to sum up this thread...chin up my man: what goes around, eventually comes around...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

croquet hoop

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 28, 2013, 10:12:28 PMSame problems with any number of repair services. TVs come to mind. Often it is a little more or CHEAPER to buy a new TV instead of having it fixed.

True, but something like planned obsolescence (on whice the sale of a number of consumer goods heavily relies) does not really concern pedals. I guess. I hope... And then there is the sentimental value — most musicians I know prefer having a piece of gear they've use for years repaired than thrown to the bin and replaced (although they'll throw away a working pedal and get a new one in a heartbeat if someone told them it will make them sound better).

stevie1556

I've only repaired a few pedals, all have been for friends only as I know they won't screw me and vice versa. I've only charged for parts as I've used them as learning tools on repairing pedals, they know that and are fine with it. One guy gets me a bottle of Stolichnaya and a bottle of Jack as a thank you everytime.

But from working with the general public for the last 8 years, I've found the trick is to avoid all the potential Darwin Award nominees, and how to smile and tell them to f**k off without them realising it.

I honestly don't think you were charging too much, especially for an (IMHO) overly expensive pedal for what it is.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

raulduke

This is also why I stay away from Ebay.

I could probably sell more stuff on there, and sell it quicker (including non pedal stuff like guitars etc.), but the horror stories you hear about the idiots that frequent it keep me away!

juansolo

I expect my attitude to it comes from being a computer guy. John, he works with computers, he'll look at it for you... and because you're generally a nice guy, that's what you do... For a while anyway, as you know it's not that big of a deal. Then people expect it. People who you don't really know (except when they f**k something up on their computer or need something doing), then they think you'll spend your free time fixing it for them for nothing... It got stupid to be honest when I was getting recommended to people I didn't even know to come and fix their shit for free. I learned how to politely say no.

It's something particular to computers. My argument is, if you were a plumber and your neighbour, who you know only from waving at as you passed came over and asked you to repair a leak, in your time, for nothing. Do you think he would? Or a mechanic fix your car? Or an electrician fix your wiring?

Because of this I have an attitude to people who expect you to do them a favour for no other reason other than you can, when you know that it will never be appreciated or reciprocated. Now for friends that's a totally different matter and I will happily repair/set up things for people at cost of parts (sometimes not even that). But that's where that ends. If I don't know you from Adam, expect to have to pay for my time or go elsewhere because I have much better things to do with it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Govmnt_Lacky

I suppose I do not have the same problems that some or most of you guys have regarding pedal building. I do not have a large base of people around here to "offer my services" to. I have put out a few feelers but.... sadly, no responses. I have built a handful of pedals for some local musicians and they have been thrilled with them but, no return or referred business from them.  :-\

I definitely do not want to start a business out of this however, it would be nice to have a dedicated group of people or some form of steady "need" to do builds or repairs. Mostly, I build for myself and even then it is 90% for the challenge. "Lets see if I can build this!" Usually, after it is built, tested, and working.... the feeling wears off.  :'(

I can sympothize somewhat with my trials of selling ( the whole .... "Why does it cost that much to build it?") and the pain that is selling on eBay. I have put boxes on there that I am taking a massive loss on and I still get messages like "Can you work on the price with me?" or "I can get that cheaper!" Once, I put up a box for sale with (2) SAD1024s in it as well as 9 other ICs.... IT was a massive circuit. Had about $250 in parts and labor invested. I listed it for $200 + shipping. Got a response for an offer of $50!!!!  ??? Told the guy... "I would rather throw it in the trash then sell it for $50. He countered with $60!!!!! Are you F'n kidding me??

I usually respond with "Feel free to get it cheaper elsewhere.... Good Luck!"  :P

alanp

Quote from: juansolo on October 29, 2013, 09:45:01 AM
It's something particular to computers. My argument is, if you were a plumber and your neighbour, who you know only from waving at as you passed came over and asked you to repair a leak, in your time, for nothing. Do you think he would? Or a mechanic fix your car? Or an electrician fix your wiring?

Used to get that (being known as a computer geek at a meatworks.) Asked a lot if they were still under warranty. "Yeah." "Then go ring them."
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

Let's see, three beers @ $5.00 a piece at a bar is about $15.00 (which was in the pedal in the form of goo).  Add in parts and labor...$20.00 was a very kind rate to have the pedal fixed, you didn't have to even do that.  Sounds like this guy is a total dooshbag! 

I used to mow this old timer's lawn who lived next to me when I was a kid.  He would ask how much, and I would say, "Don't worry about it."  He would then look at me with a stern face and say "never work for nothin', kid" and hand money to me.  I think that is one sage piece of advice I have adhered to all these years.  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!